We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drifters Backpackers Lodge

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Drifters Backpackers Lodge

I have just read The Last Resort by Douglas Rogers about his family's property, Drifters. Can anyone give me info about the place today? Photos?

9 replies to this topic
Forres, United...
1 post
1 review
1. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

Cannot tell you anything except I have just read it to and it has made a profound impression on me as I read it in Malawi

2 posts
2. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

It is really a nice place, 5mins away from the city Centre will try to get photos for you as well

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

Please send photos! also are the Rogers still at Drifters farm today?

Western Norway...
1 post
4. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

Hello,how you doing. I have just one question,Does the Drifters Backpackers lodge near Mutare still exist or exist again .If yes, maybe you please can send my an address or any way to find it. I have decided after more than 25 years to revisit Zimbadwe in nov/dez this year and world like to visit this Lodje.

The country is still in my memory after all this years.

Thank you and i look forward for a short reply.

Best greetings from Hans in Norway

1 post
5. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

Mutare was my favorite place to visit as a child as my grandparents lived there. I am half way through the book and now I'm trying to find Drifters on Google Earth. Has anyone else been able to?

oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
6. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

Is Drifters still a viable camp to visit? Douglas's parents still run it? Thx

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

I've just finished the book......awesome book.....couldn't put it down. At the back of my edition of the book there's a blog mentioned....douglasrogers.org.....which I'm on just now. If you go on to it and scroll down to the bottom of first page you'll see there's an email address for him to contact re. wishing to visit. The address is douglas@douglasrogers.org Also, if you scroll down to just below the frog you'll see a bar with ....home...about...book etc., click on book and then there's a facility to see lots of wonderful photos if clicking on ...photos....

Can you please let me know if you get a response. Good luck!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

I did communicate with the author right after I read the book.

His parents were still living there....would love an update.

Thanks.

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Drifters Backpackers Lodge

Me too! I came across a Facebook page ( the last resort:a memoir of Zimbabwe ) where sadly he'd posted that his mother passed away 29th March this year. I wonder if his father still lives at Drifters.

Reply to: Drifters Backpackers Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mutare
Recent Conversations