We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women not covering up in Oct

Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Women not covering up in Oct

Hello

I've searched several keywords and cant find answer so asking directly.I fly out to Turkey in Saturday and will be staying in Marmaris. As it's. Id octiber and not the busy periid will i stand out if i wear off shoulder tops and short dresses bit or cleavage etc? Will i be hissed at for not covering up or made to feel uncomfortable? Should i stick pashminas around me and a pair of trousers every day and eve or is it relaxed enough out there i can wear what I'd wear to somewhere like spain?

Thanks in advance x

46 replies to this topic
Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

Where on earth so you get the idea from that you'll be hissed at?

Marmaris is a holiday town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
2. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

You'll be fine, I'll be the one whistling :)

Joe

Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

Just from previous experience in Agadir also a holiday area (in Morocco) that i read was fine to wear more western clothing but i was there in december off peak and got hissed at when i wore a below knee dress....so stayed fully covered rest of holiday.im finding it difficult ti get cinfirmation that many women are still showing legs and skin around this time and don't want to stand out like a sore thumb.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,937 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

AnotherTourist84, Turkey is NOT Morocco. You should have at least a minimum of info about the countries you are visiting. Turkey is a secular country. So get rid of such preconceived absurd notions and wear what you would wear in your own country.

enigma...

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
137 reviews
5. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

AnotherTourist - I have been to Morroco; not sure quite what you you mean, albeit am male - really strange question for Turkey; go and enjoy your holiday 👍

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

So just one incident in another country to judge all other countries on.... I really despair especially in this day and age of easily accessible information.

I'm sat on the bus in Istanbul writing this (not a tourist area) and no one has hissed at me yet as everyone is dressed similarly. I have never ever met anything like you seem to expect and I've lived in several areas of Turkey. Yes me a blonde foreigner and I have never felt uncomfortable. Oh except a little over dressed in some resorts as I had a swimsuit on that actually covered the bits it was supposed to!

hull england
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

Clare it,s certainly an unusual question it,s like i,m going to a holiday resort and can i not enjoy the sunshine , in fact weather permitting people will still be sunbathing and walking on the prom in bikinis.

hullman

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

Trust me, in marmaris they’ve seen it all. I’ve never been hissed at but I have been (on very rare occasions) stared at and “tsked” at by more conservative people. I stare and tsk right back, considering that I dress appropriately for the weather and occasion.

Enjoy your holiday.

Market Weighton...
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

What is wrong with you people. The OP has asked a question and I believe a good one from someone who has never been before. Your saying you should at least get some knowledge of the country your going to. Well that’s what she’s trying to do. She’s wanting to know what clothes she should take as to not upset locals. Answering questions like most people do on here is an absolute joke. Don’t you think that if you was to give a proper answer and show how good a place can be more people would come.

I came to turkey last year as I had a image of how it would be like and I thought I’d never like it and I wouldn’t ever go. But with some real understanding of a place I changed my mind. I still don’t give the people there a rating as I would say Spain, Greece or usa as there laws and customs are different in turkey and I feel the people “men” in marmaris are sleezy, slimy and dodgy but being a 33 year old male with a wife that has common sense I would go back. I wouldn’t of let myself go when I was 18 to 30 knowing what it’s like but I did go to other party islands.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,888 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Women not covering up in Oct

Well AnotherTourist84 - you are quite right when you say "its October and not the busy period" - it is also mid October and so no longer "summer" and the weather forecast is not looking so good. Luckily Saturday is looking the worst day with storms all along the south coast, but it still looks as if it will be wet through to tuesday. here is a link to the Turkish Met Office site:

https:/…forecast-5days.aspx

So you might want to pack some long trousers and a jacket - just so as not to look silly if the weather is cold and wet!

Reply to: Women not covering up in Oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marmaris