We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gallipoli and ephessus

yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
gallipoli and ephessus

want to visit both of these on a trip to turkey what is the best tourist bas e to stay in ?? any hotel suggestions ? want 4-5 * all imc with history and culture close by Izmir ? Marmatis? dalaman ? HELP !!!!

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Archaeologous
Sightseeing Tours
Ephesus Tour Travel
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gallipoli and ephessus

We did a drive trip down the Aegean Coast from Istanbul to Kusadasi from where we visited Ephesus. We caught Troy and Gallipoli on the way back, as well as Bergama (Pergamum), which is a *must* see.

www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/pergamum

Turkey has better Roman ruins than Italy.

Troy and Gallipoli are interesting for your imagination of what happened there. We did not find Troy compelling...the ruins have been changed over the many, many years and it is a skeleton of what it was. It is even several miles inland from its original site.

Gallipoli had the same effect on us. There is a cemetery, and unless you are compelled by the facts of the battle, I would skip it.

Mentioned in this post
Kusadasi
Kusadasi
Aydin Province, Turkey
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gallipoli and ephessus

I would certainly endorse the views expressed by Puter. Many people I know have been disappointed after visiting Troy.

Ephesus and Bergama are certainly ‘must-sees’. For Ephesus I would stay in Selçuk where there are a number of other historic attractions, but it may be easier to find 4/5 Star all-inclusive facilities closer to nearby Kuşadası.

For Pergamon, you could either stay in Bergama itself or, if you would like to mix coast with culture, you could consider Dikili (30 kms west of Bergama) or Çandarlı, approximately 20 kms south of Dikili). Again, 5* all-inclusive could be a problem but Gobi Pansiyon and Anıl Boutique Hotel in Bergama have excellent reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298003-Bergama_Izmir…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gallipoli and ephessus

Absolutely stay in Selçuk or Sirince for your visit to Efes (Ephesus).... you can manage to get right to Cannakale which is the closest town to make an easy visit to Gallipoli by bus and it is a day of driving.

Bergama is a whole bus day away and Dikili is only about 30kms from Bergama don't stay in either place- well rather I wouldn't. Ayvalik is closer and has a bus to Cannakale and is much nice but still we are talking a full day trip by bus. If you have a car you can stay in Ayvalik and leave really early in the morning make it to Troy (which I agree after taking many visitors who need to see it because it is Troy, well it is not terribly exciting, but I agree it is Troy). Gallipoli is just beyond Troy. If you are driving during Ramazan perhaps the roads will be less busy, if not plan on staying overnight in Cannakale.

Mentioned in this post
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Ayvalik
Ayvalik
Balikesir Province, Turkey
4. Re: gallipoli and ephessus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 July 2011, 10:35
Edited: 22 July 2011, 10:35
5. Re: gallipoli and ephessus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Izmir