We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying an apartment in Izmir

11 posts
Buying an apartment in Izmir

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a small apartment in Turkey. Istanbul would be the ideal location but it's way too expensive. I looked for another city that has a lot of life and nearby areas that I can visit on day trips. I found that Izmir has a great location as it's close to bodrum and cesme am I right? Is it really interesting to invest in it or should I look for other cities?

If you encourage me to buy in izmir, which area in izmir? And what cities other than bodrum and cesme that's near and I can visit them for a change without having to stay the night.

Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Turkey
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Buying an apartment in Izmir

Well, Bodrum isn't exactly next door, it's in another city and it's 230 km (3 hours) away. But I guess you can visit Bodrum in a day and come back for the night.

What are you looking for, exactly? A summer house? Are you going to work here? And what type of day trips do you want (historical, nature, beach...)?

A few neighbourhoods that you can check out in İzmir: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29800…

Level Contributor
1,177 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Buying an apartment in Izmir

Please, do reserch this well. Living in Turkey is rather different from visiting as a tourist. Are you implying that you do not know Izmir at all, I like Izmir a lot, its a very modern and secular city known as "infidel Izmir", but its not a unique world city like Istanbul. You should get to know the city real well before making such a comitment. If, as it seems money is a major consideration you should be aware thatit might not be an ideal time to make a major fanancial comitment, many analysts take a fairly grim wiev of Turkeys economic future. That could very well lead to falling property prices in the segment you seem to be interested in, less so in the exotic segment. Do you intend to work?, permits are almost imposible to get, and tech work from home is also hard (can be hard to get a land based conection for a foreigner). Language will also be an issue if you do not speak turkish, decent english is not spoken much in a normal neighbourhod (unlike the touristy places). Please research and try staying for some time before making a comitment. Karsiyaka is a nice area to live in Izmir, try to rent a place there as close to the sea as your budget will alow, close to the sea its unfortunately not very cheap though, and its big, so the cheap places bears litle resemblance to the nice ones.

Level Contributor
1,177 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Buying an apartment in Izmir

And, btw, there are very few small apartments, as in studios or 1 br, some new projects, but their either very far from the center or realy expensive by local standards.Theese are sold for the financing, as a foreighner you will not have acces to that. Some Turkish banks do finance property for foreighners, but realy only if you do not realy need it.

Edited: 22 July 2018, 02:15
11 posts
4. Re: Buying an apartment in Izmir

I will not be working there. It's just a summer getaway, or any vacation me and my family have we'll be spending there. We love Istanbul and always go there for the summer. But Istanbul is expensive and the apartments there are not suitable for us specially the ones in compounds with secruity and stuff. So that's the only reason I thought of Izmir although i've never been there. I'm open to any different city but izmir seemed good enough.

Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Buying an apartment in Izmir

Well, summer=beach for me and there are no beaches in Istanbul. The cities of Balıkesir, İzmir, Aydın, Muğla and Antalya all have nice beaches with different night lifes, nature, day trip options etc. Buying a house is a big decision and I cannot really say "buy one from here", because it depends on many factors. I'll just say this: İzmir centre (any of these cities' centres) isn't nice to spend the summer, you should look at Çeşme, Seferihisar, Foça etc. Same goes for the other cities I've listed.

1 post
6. Re: Buying an apartment in Izmir

I would recommend bornova area withis is quite central and many facilities around univercities, hospitals, shopping malls etc. you can have a look at the link below though. https://www.emlaksokak.com/city/izmir/

Reply to: Buying an apartment in Izmir
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Izmir