We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

Hi,

Six weeks til hols! Lots of questions, hope you can all help!

- Is the supermarket building finished opposite the Esra yet?

- What is the exchange rate at the moment? Is the jewellers still the best place to change English money to Turkish? Is anywhere good for changing travellers cheques? Do you get the best rate with English money or t.cheques? I keep reading that it's hard to change them in Altinkum.

- What's the average price for a pint of lager like Stella/Fosters and the local stuff as well?

- Also a vodka and diet coke?

- Steak and chips?

- Best place to feed a family of 4 with a VERY fussy 12 year old - nuggets, sausages, burgers, chips etc?

- Is there still a fun fair? If so, where is it and how much am I going to be stung for?!

- Best place to buy tickets and get transport for Didim Aqua Park?

Sorry so many questions, trying to figure out how much money to bring!

Thank you all.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
570 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

Hi Boxy 4

Cant answer some of your Q but i have just returned from Dalyan and the exchange rate was 2.56tl,the fun fair had aparantly been closed down,but then someone on here told me it had reopened on the same site past the Harbour if your staying at Esra i think its not too far from you.

As for meals as ive not yet been to Altinkum yet this year not sure what the prices are like but the usual rule applies that the nearer the sea front the more expensive it is.Theres loads of places on the main road that do all kinds of food, all the foods you mentioned are easy to come by in most eateries.

The jewellers are usually pretty good with the exchange rate.

Re water park i just book in one of the shops that sell trips,theres usually a man standing on Dolphin SQ giving info about local water park,hes a driver of the bus for the water park.

Hope ive helped in some way.

Re beers i was paying 5tl for a btl of Efes in Dalyan i think it may be much the same in Altinkum.

Roll on 15th Aug for me.

Middlesbrough...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

hi going to altinkum in september and wondering if i need to take babey milk an food with me or will i be able to get it there ....id hate to lug it all over there an find it in a shop...if some 1 could help me on this 1 id be very greatfull....

Newcastle
Level Contributor
570 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

You will be able to get the items but if you are wanting our brands in the uk you will possibly pay a lot more.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
570 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

PS greeg07 i think you should post a new message so that someone may pick up on it who has actually purchased these goods,just click on ask a question at the top.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

hi....we went to esra last year and going to garden of sun in 4 weeks....there is a great friendly supermarket across the road from the banks in altinkum...its just like tesco and sells everything you need....get a dolmus or as i did just walk in the general direction of banks from esra and you will fall over it

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

hey, iv been to the esra this year and yes, there is a migros opened across the road from the esra, thats why esra is going all inclusive next year, i was in marmaris last week and the exchange rate was 2.70 so that was really good, it will probs still be the same in altinkum too, i think you should just look around to see where the best rate is then decide and i always take english money, iv never took travelers cheques, remember you need a english ten pound note to enter turkey, i dont know if they do stella, but their own beer called efes is meant to be nice and its only 5/5.50 lira , you can get a double vodka and coke for 9lira and their steak prices ranges from 20lira to 30lira, yeah is a funfair still there, but last year the rep advised not to go on it because its not up to our health and safety standards, and you can book the aqua water park down the main beach bit and they will come and pick you up :) hope this helped x

watford
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

Fun fair - just back from Altinkum - each ride is one token = 3 lira so not too bad.

we went with 2 adults and 2 kids.. most places catered for nuggets and chip etc, we found the following ones good.. Big Bens, Nigels and Cafe dela Mar. all very reasonable, ate steak most nights around 30 lira, didnt have a bad one at all. Efes between 4 and 5 lira, dont know about spirits. All the boat trips seem the same £10 per head,f you walk down the front they'll collar you. We got caught out, booked to go on 'one minute' boat which looked good, when we got there they put us on a smalled boat and said the other one was full.. we still had a good day but not happy we had a different boat!!

went to water park with local agent, they all sell the trip... have fun :-)

Caron

watford
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

p.s. changed sterling at the phone shop on the front, just past Nigels restaurant. also most of the restaurants will collect you from your apartments and drop you home afterwards... suggested this to my local curry house last night but he didnt take us home!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
232 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

did the supermarket sell fresh fruit and veg, fresh meat etc or is it more just for basics?

I am not staying at the Esra but very near to it, I tend to eat in a few nights when we are there

I am veggie so eat a lot of salads when on my hols, partner and son will eat salads but like steak with theirs, would be great if I could do the shopping without the hassle of taxis etc

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Esra - Supermarket and lots of other questions!

Yes the Migros sells fresh fruit n veg, meat etc.

Get answers to your questions about Altinkum
Recent Conversations