We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgup or Goreme?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
33 reviews
Urgup or Goreme?

Any opinions on whether it's better to stay in a hotel in Urgup or Goreme?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

Goreme is more central and the prettier of the two.If you have a look on the Capadocia forum you'll find quite a few posts from people asking the same in the past and opinion favours Goreme,although Urgup is still worth a visit.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
2. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

Opinons are a bit divided on this, but I think that the majority prefer Goreme, which has a good choice of hotels and restaurants and wonderful scenery.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

Part of my old Trip report -

Urgup V Goreme? Goreme for me every time just because you are completely surrounde by the very scenery you have come to see! And especially if you have a hotel, like the Kelebek, the views in themselves are worth the trip. Also the whole village is built around the chimneys and caves. There is, as I’ve said, only the one street of “touristy” shops and tour offices, The rest of the village is very quaint and pretty with a very countrified way of daily life.

In all fairness, we only drove through Urgup a couple of times but it seemed much more modern, busy and business like. Undoubtedly, there is a lot more business life, etc, going on here but that’s not what I went to Cappadocia to see. You would not be guaranteed the beautiful views in all the hotels here and the total feeling of immersion in another world I felt in Goreme. And I do not think you really need much of the extra facilities i.e. shops, more restaurants, etc. that Urgup could offer because you are far too busy, then tired, out exploring all the sights.

Avanos is another possibility but again it would not be my choice, a much flatter landscape with no formations in the vicinity. Quite an elegant town with a more affluent feel.

Apart from Goreme, the only other place I would like to stay is Cauvisin, utterly charming and beautiful but perhaps too quiet for some – very few shops, etc.

Mind you, we loved Cappadocia, it’s even better than I had anticipated, so in truth I’d stay absolutely anywhere if I could do it all again

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

We recently spent a few days in Csppsdocia, staying at the Aydinli Cave House Hotel (wonderful place) in Goreme. While my experience with Urgup is very limited, just driving through, I was more impressed with Goreme and will stay there again the next time I am in Cappadocia. Goreme has excellent hotels and restaurants and is quiet and very pretty. In addition, it is within walking distance of the Goreme Open Air Museum and some nearby valleys that are nice to walk through. Have a great trip.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

Urgup is more of a real town where people work, kids go to school, and people go about their business. Goreme is *very* touristy and the town's livelihood is based on tourism. Urgup is quieter b/c there aren't tour buses and traffic driving in/out all day. In Goreme, the traffic continues until the sun down because of the sights, Open Air Museum, etc.

Fewer people stay in Urgup but I'm really glad I did. I've stayed in both towns. In Urgup, you get the same sights but not the traffic congestion. You can walk down the street and not be pestered to join a tour, eat in a restaurant, or look at wares in a store the way you are in Goreme.

Both Urgup & Goreme are really good places to stay, but very different. You'll find very nice hotels to budget hotels in both towns. For most people, Goreme is preferred.

Goreme, Turkey
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
6. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

Hello Bluefrog626;

Both town are really good places. It depens on you budget. Group Tours espacially come Ürgüp. There are boutique style hotels and 4-5 stars hotels. Also you can find budget hotels too. But Göreme is backpackers place. There are many small pansion and restaurant. You can compare these things and you can choose which place you want to stay. In my opinion Göreme is better.

Best Regards

Cappadociainfo

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

Just to say I was never once approached by a salesman to come into their restaurant or shop in Goreme. As I said only one street has tour offices, etc and there are a good selection of shops and excellent restaurants. No tour buses and certaimly not a village full of traffic. Goreme is a quiet, rural village - a fair proportion of its business does depend on tourism, but that is true of the whole area.

Around this you see a traditional rural landscape - farmers on carts, apricots drying on the roofs, women sitting in their doorway in traditional dress watching the world go by and donkeys and goats in their stable half way down the street.

All this set almosr entirely in the fairy chimney landscape. No discos or nightclubs as we saw in Urgup! And just to be clear Goreme is ideal for all tourists, certainly not just backpackers.

Do you think I liked Goreme by any chance....!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

My experience in Goreme was similar to heidotheroad's.

While the town certainly relies on tourism, I found it to be very quiet with very little traffic, especially away from the main shopping street. I was never approached by any business person trying to sell me anything. It is a very pretty small town.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

"Traffic congestion" in Goreme?

Being "pestered to join a tour, eat in a restaurant, or look at wares in a store" in Goreme?

This doesn't sound anything like the Goreme I stayed in for 6 days in Spring 2008, and have to agree wholeheartedly with the experiences of Goreme described by heidotheroad and countmc.

When were you there Globe? Maybe things have changed since I was there, or maybe things have changed since you were there - but I can't really imagine that.

London
Level Contributor
43 posts
10. Re: Urgup or Goreme?

I agree, I can't remember seeing many tour buses in Goreme and certainly no importuning waiters etc.

I also think it's wrong to describe Goreme as a place for "backpackers" - if you read the trip reports by heidi, Osomum and Attagul, who've all been there in the last 18 months, I think you'll see that they don't come across as "backpackers" and they all stayed in Goreme.

Get answers to your questions about Cappadocia