We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort advice.

Which Kusadasi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Resort advice.

Hi,

We are thinking of having a first holiday in Turkey this summer, but don't know where to head to.We are a couple in our early 30's who have holidayed in Rhodes for the past few years, but fancy a change.

Is there anywhere that is still unspoilt by tourism on the coast that would make a good base for us to explore. We love more traditional resorts and want to steer clear of anything that is full of high rises and such.

Is Kusadasi an option, or can someone suggest an alternative?

Thanks

Jenny

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort advice.

Side has no high rises and nothing is allowed more than 3 storeys high as it is considered an antiquity town of Turkey by the Government - it has the second longest sandy beach in all of Turkey - turtles - Roman ruins - an active amphitheatre - Apollo Temple where Anthony and Cleopatra fell in love - a Saturday market - lots of little bars and restaurants and shops - and a new promenade that goes all along the coastline.

A super little boutique hotel with its own private beach there is The Beach House Hotel - yet only minutes from all the sights.

Suggest you look at Side Forum page and top right of that is Top Questions About Side which should help. It is an ideal place for a first visit to Turkey.

UK
Level Contributor
381 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort advice.

Kusadasi is large resort and not really 'off the beaten track' in my opinion. Perhaps try the Bodrum peninsula, in particular Gumusluk or Yalikavac.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort advice.

Kuşadası does not really sound like what you are looking for. Try Bodrum peninsula which has a range of different resorts ranging from busy and popular with tourists like Gümbet , Türgutreis , Bodrum itself and Bitez and more authentic Turkish like Yalıkavak , Gündoğan and Gümüşluk , Ortakent.

All resorts are connected by dolmuş to each other and to Bodrum which is the main city on the peninsula.

This is a travel guide written by a regular poster on here which will give you lots of information on the peninsula.

http://www.bodrumpeninsulatravelguide.co.uk/

If you like the sound of anywhere and would like more information just ask.

eastbourne
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort advice.

Have a look at Kalkan.

http://www.kalkanturkey.com/

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort advice.

Hi Jenny,

Have a look at a place called dalyan...its a working Turkish town only 30 mins from dalaman airport.

The town is in a stunning setting on the banks of a river, surrounded by mountains. At one end of the river is the long, sandy, iztuzu beach which is a protected area as its a nesting ground for loggerhead turtles. At the other end is the beautiful koycegiz lake and opposite are the lycian rock tombs and ruined town of kaunos.

There is a great selection of restaurants, cafes, shops and bars etc and there's a lovely atmosphere - especially in the evenings - but the resort is quite laid back and nightlife is low key (think live music bars or sipping cocktails on beanbags overlooking the river). There's also a weekly market and, as its a working town, plenty of traditional Turkish places a well as those geared to the tourists.

There is a height restriction in dalyan so there's no high rise buildings, big hotels or all inclusives and there are no international fast food chains! Accommodation is mostly small family run b&bs/apart hotels or private rentals.

Dalyan is a 'holiday resort' so not completely unspoilt but it strikes the perfect balance for us as somewhere not too quiet and isolated but similarly not too big and touristy!

Dalyan appeals mostly to couples and families and is a great base as there is loads to do in that area of turkey!

Sel

Waterford...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort advice.

my advice keep away. there is too huge a cultural difference to be safe anywhere that goes for hotels, people, bars at nite in particular

7. Re: Resort advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 12:05
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort advice.

Dalyan was our choice for our first trip to Turkey three years ago. It is a fantastic place. Beautiful setting, lovely food and little hastle from people trying to get you into restaurants. We went to Greece for many years, in fact my parents live there, but we really enjoy Turkey and have now also been to Turunc and Kalkan. Any of these places would be the type that you are looking for. As for 'staying away' because of 'cultural differences'. I can honestly say rhat I dont know what that means. Wherever we have stayed, the locals have been very friendly and we have never felt unsafe in any way. I would definitely recommend Turkey, especially if you enjoy Greece.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort advice.

Saoirse, that is a very general statement. Of course, Turkey like anywhere else will not be to everyone's taste and fortunately there are lots of other countries to visit. In 13 years of twice yearly visits I would say that naturally there are unpleasant people in Turkey but in my opinion they are in the minority. Likewise cultural

differences add to a holiday for me as I like to feel I am away but I have not found the culture on the West coast of Turkey to present any

problems that prevented us from enjoying our holidays there.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy your holiday in

Turkey but as I said no country can appeal to every holidaymaker but I don't think it is fair to paint a whole country as unsafe.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 20:06
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort advice.

Saoirse, that is a very general statement. Of course, Turkey like anywhere else will not be to everyone's taste and fortunately there are lots of other countries to visit. In 13 years of twice yearly visits I would say that naturally there are unpleasant people in Turkey but in my opinion they are in the minority. Likewise cultural

differences add to a holiday for me as I like to feel I am away but I have not found the culture on the West coast of Turkey to present any

problems that prevented us from enjoying our holidays there.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy your holiday in

Turkey but I don't think it is fair to paint a whole country as unsafe.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 20:06
Get answers to your questions about Kusadasi