We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

Araches-la-Frasse...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

been reading bits and bobs. Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

are there any safe ones?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

Are you talking about pollution?

If so, then Google 'Mediterranean Pollution'. There's plenty of photos and lots to read.

Europe
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
2. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

There are hundreds of thousands of tourists swimming each year by the beaches of Tunisia, plus the natives. This should say it all. :)

You might just want to avoid bathing in the harbour or in obviously dirty water areas (usually near harbours or in non-hotel zones, since there are in recent years more and more water cleaning facilities in the tourist zones).

N r
Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
3. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

I've been swimming in the med for years and never once suffered anything apart from once when i stood on a sea urchin, however i've had ear and throat infections 3 or 4 times from swimming in hotel pools and know more than one person who've suffered serious gastric infections like cryptosporidion from pool water. I suppose the best thing you can do is watch for tell tale signs of dirty areas, try not to swallow any water and swim where the locals do, as said, MILLIONS of people the world over swim in the sea, especially the relatively safe, shallow and shark-free waters of the med holiday beaches.

east anglia
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

one of the biggest sharks ever caught was a great white off the coast of malta not too far away from tunisia

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
13,209 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

LT

I would not be to concerned about sharks in Tunisian waters. Its the ones in the Medina you need to look out for !

Swimming ? yes, no problem

My son does sub aqua swimming regularly, and loves the waters off the Tunisian coast

Edited: 19 January 2012, 11:09
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

Sub-aqua outfits know the places to avoid, otherwise they'd go bust.

The problems with pollution are going to be within yards of the beach/water line.

If the shoreline is littered with debris then that means two things. It's either been discarded by people who use the beach, or it's come in from the sea (often from a nearby discharge pipe if close to mega tourist hotels), and as I've spouted before, the Mediterranean is barely tidal and so 'crap' doesn't disperse very easily.

Someone mentioned pollution is kept to a minimum by chemical cleaning agents. Surely that's a double whammy!

My main point is if you swim in the sea, then make sure that you have more than just a tetanus immunisation, as if you swallow a turd or a used condom you'll know about it. And make sure the shoreline where you are swimming isn't littered with all sorts.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
13,209 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

LT

Swimming ? yes, no problem

most comments..one in particular from our Tunisian friend, Afjab confirms such

Go and enjoy the beaches!

Mick

N r
Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
8. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

Holidaymad, quite correct although the claims of 37 feet or so was never confirmed, but around Malta and the straits between Sicily and Tunisia the Great white has nursing grounds, but they don't usually come close to the land in the med. you're far more likely to see nurse sharks, dogfish or blues if any, but that will be out in deeper water and only by chance or because you're hunting for them, in fact you're much more likely to spot sharks off the western isles of Scotland or Cornwall.

That said we saw a huge one very close to the shore of Spinalonga in Crete, no idea what it was apart from "f***ing massive!", and was very close to the boat we were on, swam right underneath and around a good few times while everyone took photos, also I've seen a couple of dead Blues washed up on the beach in Rhodes in winter, there's been plenty of reports from locals about tigers and mako sharks but they are extremely rare and hard to track as they're very fast and don't school in surface waters in the way Great whites do.

I'd LOVE to see Great whites!

Edited: 19 January 2012, 18:14
east anglia
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

holidaybear73 is correct you are probably quite safe swimming but you never know do you im not that brave

10. Re: Is it really that unsafe to swim in the beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 18:14
Edited: 27 May 2014, 18:14
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet
Recent Conversations