We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Hi, hopefully booking Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines flights soon just wondering about the transit in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur

It will be from Brisbane - Phuket Return

First time to Thailand and first time that we are having to catch a connecting flight

If anyone could please help me about this question much appreciated

Brodie

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
101 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Thai Airways is your best choice, there stop over in Bangkok is much nicer than KL. Ive flown with both, KL airport isnt anything to write home about infact quite boring and not pleasant. The stop over in KL last time for me was 5 hours, we were exhausted last time we travelled. The food isnt very nice on Malaysia either unless you enjoy a sausage roll. I recommend Thai, thats who we are flying with again next trip, great food, drinks and flight :)

Hope that helped :)

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Did you have to clear immigration in KL and BKK ?

Cheers Brodie

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
240 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Life's all about opinions - I'd say the opposite to Sharon.

If with Thai, you're virtually flying past Phuket and then having to come back - that seems a little silly.

To be honest, I'd suggest you just look at overall price and transit times, and decide that way.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

We have just booked for April flying Thai return Brisbane to Phuket. For the price difference, which was minimal, we have chosen to fly Thai. No long stop overs at KL and a full service airline. If you want to pick your seats Malayasia Air will charge you for that.

Agree you are flying past Phuket to come back but I think that beats spending five plus hours sitting in KL airport.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Thank you for your replies

Is it easy to get to your connecting flight ?

Do we have to leave the international terminal and get transported to the domestic terminal in BKK ?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Hi Brodie

Yes BKK is easy enough to get around. We did the BKK then to Chiang Mai two years ago with ease. Arrivals come in on level 2 (domestic on one side and international on the other) and departures are on level 4 (domestic on one side and international on the other). http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/85 this is a link to a map of the airport.

Mindarie, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

hi brodie we did the thai perth to bkk and then bkk to phuket would happen same way as on brisbane flight bkk is huge but dont worry when you get off the plane you will have a coloured sticker let me assure you there will be others doing the same thing they have a person directing you when you get off to your new gate and yes you go thru security again once at your gate you will be taken thru ticketing and then put on a bus to take you to your plane when you arrive in phuket is when you go thru immigration works the opposite on the way back immigration in phuket and then security in bkk hope this helps have a great time

Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Thai is a much better service hands down

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

It depends on whether we want to have a few days at the stop over destination. Bangkok is an awesome city so if you fly Thai you can stop over for a few days to see the sights. If you have no interest in stopping over then I would pick the cheapest and more convenient flight times. Also bear in mind that Malaysian have a 30kg baggage allowance for economy now which is tempting if you like to shop.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thai Airways or Malaysian Airlines Connecting Flight

Yeah cheapest will be the best option but Thai leaves and arrives on the same day as Malaysian is a red eye flight leaving at 11:20pm arriving at Phuket around 9:30am. With Thai we are arriving and get a proper good night sleep at the resort. Thanks for you replies :)

I'm just a bit worried about having to catch a bus to the domestic terminal

Some people have posted from a few years ago saying they had to catch a bus and others didn't