We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money???

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bargara australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
money???

I am going to Thailand next week..I have organised some thai baht here. Should I bring australian dollors as well or use the atm? This is my first time in Thailand..Thanks in advance...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: money???

Don't change money before you leave - you get a better rate here! Check the FAQS (Top Questions) on the right for a comprehensive answer to your question.

Darkan, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money???

Bring Aussie $ and change it to Thai baht. Don't change any at home.

Money changers and banks all over the place. Much better rate that at home.

ATM charge a fee - cash no fee.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money???

A.t .m Charges a fee ,but you don't have to carry loads of cash. I think its safer ,and who cares about 20 or 30 dollaers in fees over a vacation .....Really

Mindarie, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money???

we are taking visa debit card to pay for hotel extras and jewellery and have paid for our tours already so we are taking aus dollars. Its been suggest on T/A to change a small amount at airport just so as you have some money in thai for tips when you get there like luggage guys at hotel but the best rates are in patong and we plan on changing just enough on a daily basis

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money???

Ive learnt that aussie cash with cards as a emergency back up gets you the best value..

GPC

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money???

Everyone has their own opinion on this.I always take a few baht with me for taxis etc. I have in the past taken cash and it has worked well for me. I think it depends how long you are going for as if I was spending 2 weeks or more I think I would also take T/C.

100 Mile House...
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money???

I'd just use a ATM. We just returned from a month in Bali and Phuket. We took mostly Traveler's Cheques. Big mistake, They were a pain to cash. It seriously took over 1/2 hour to cash them. I'm surprised we weren't photographed and finger printed while we were at the bank. The 2nd time we went to cash some more, we were told the machine that reads the numbers was broken. We ended up bringing home most of the TC, and ended up going to the ATM's and just taking cash out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money???

We've used nothing but ATMs for all our trips over the last ten years, in both Europe and Asia. We've only ever had one problem - a short-term bank outage in 2003 which prevented us getting money for a couple of hours in Wales. ATMs are all over the place in Thailand, there's never a problem. You can get money at the airport as soon as you arrive. Just carry a spare card in case...

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money???

Takes few min to cash travelers cheques! Just need passport with you and provide hotel info!

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money???

We just took cash and an atm card for when the cash ran out. Not a problem as there are money changers at the airport and everywhere in Phuket.