We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin vs Pattaya

Which Hua Hin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin vs Pattaya

Travelling with kids any advice to help choose between Pattaya and Hua Hin. Kids are 7 & 3. Due to go early July and would appreciate any feedback.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

I don't think it good when people ask to compare just to say one over the other.

We visit both for weekends for different reasons. Pattaya often has tennis, sailing and other sports events, very often Thai music concerts etc. So when we wish to enjoy those or a busier time we head to Jomtien area of Pattaya.

When we want a relxing weekend, or again if something partiucular is on, then we head to Hua Hin. For people wanting a more relaxed time Hua Hin is the choice for many. The nearness of 2 national parks, the coastal railway line. The scenery of Prachuap Khiri Khan, the further away beautiful beaches of Ban Krut, Bang saphan - All are plus points.

Different things suit different people, and in both cases where you stay and places you visit make a difference.

What I will say for both is that they provide a multitude of things to do and in most cases both provide more to do at a much cheaper price than 'certain' popular beach destinations in Thailand I could mention :) LOL

Both have Floating Markets now

The new Black Mountain Waterpark near Cha Am has soft opening now, and will be fully open soon, another shopping / fun location again just north of Cha Am ( Santorini Park ) opens this month.

I have read that Cartoon Network ( USA ) is to open a huge entertainment place south of Jomtien ( south of Pattaya ) in 2013.

They share being the most popular coastal destinations for Thai people.

In a recent Tripadvisor article of top 15 worldwide destinations 'on the rise' Hua Hin achieved 2nd place ( in the whole world ), the only one in Thailand and the only other one in Asia being Seminyak Indonesia.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 14:14
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

After much travel throughout Thailand over the past decade, I made my first trip to Hua Hin in 2011. I am now a Hua Hin fan and am already planning to return on my 2012 trip. I think it is a great place for kids and for your Mum.

Enjoy

Broder

London
Level Contributor
746 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

Did 12 nights with 6 and 3 year old. Came back relaxed and was never bored. My 6 yr daughter nearly cried when she realised it was time to go home.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

This year our family are going to Chiang Mai and Hua Hin for two weeks. For the past two years we have gone to Pattaya and Bangkok and Koh Samet. Our kids want to go back to Pattaya again (they are 12 and 15) but are just glad to be coming back to beautiful Thailand again. As said previously, there are many aspects to Pattaya apart from the nightlife which many people go there for. The Sanctuary of Truth is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. We stay at the Dusit Thani and enjoy their wonderful grounds. We eat out, go ten pin bowling, go to flight of the gibbon and the zoo. We have had many a cold beer in an outside bar with the kids being taught how to play one handed pool by the ladies. We eat from the stalls and appreciate that a lot of the girls working are doing it for their families. It's nice to keep an open mind when traveling to a country that I know very little about. We are so looking forward to trying our new destinations this year. We have booked a condo at Baan Sansuk with Gunny and can't wait till September!

Dhaka
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

Which is the most child friendly hotel in huahin.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

Finally! After reading through 24 posts, someone mentioned Sanctuary of Truth! This is one of the most exquisite wooden temples you will ever see anywhere and is well worth a stop in Pattaya, just to see it. Why not stop for a day and a night in Pattaya so that you can see this wonderful temple, and then continue on to Hua Hin the next day...

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

One good reason not to do as you ^ suggest is that Pattaya is in the wrong direction for Hua Hin.

I have never been to Pattaya but my wife and I spent 11 nights in Hua Hin in March and we were never bored. We thought it was great!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
145 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

Without a doubt Hua Hin. Pattaya, even though it is now being cleaned up is a place to be avoided if you are holidaying with kids.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

I realize they are on different shores, so-to-speak, but I'm just so keen about the Sanctuary of Truth that I hate to see anybody miss it! But of course, what's good for the goose isn't necessarily food for the gander.. lol

30. Re: Hua Hin vs Pattaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin
Recent Conversations