We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

Not sure if there is any better alternative, and wish I had asked before I went, but just as a warning, the EG SIM card sold on-line and at Busan Airport is a giant rip-off. The charge is 40 to 44 US$, depending on the size of the SIM card, they do not tell you how much talk or text time you get for that, and while they do say you have 1GB data, they don't mention how that is measured. My experience was I got 1(ONE) 3 minute phone call, checked e-mail twice, made a couple of skype calls, and one google search, and I was out of minutes and data - all in less than a day. The only good thing about it is you get unlimited incoming calls, but that's still a lot to spend just so your friends can call you for cheap. Oh, and while they also say you can add data/minutes at local convenience stores - I tried two different ones, with help from my Korean friend, and they both had no clue. Bottom line - save your money and use your foreign phone. It will be cheaper in the long run, and many places have free wi-fi you can use to connect. If someone has a better alternative, I would like to hear it for my next trip. Otherwise, lesson learned!

41 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
31. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

Hi there! I was wondering if the SIM card I will get in Korea will work if my phone is locked (?) I'm stay in Korea for a month, what would you recommend for me to do? I'm mostly wanting internet more than anything

2 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

Oh.. I'm sorry to hear that.... this is exactly why the actual feedbacks from their experiences are important. Whenever my friends visit Korea, I always suggest them to get prepaid sim called krsim. which has good signal, reasonable price and easy balance checks and no disconnects (even on the freeway!). As a result of trusting my friends feedback? No other choice.. just krsim..!!

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
1 post
206 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

I agree that this SIM card is awful. I bought and couldn't use it because the data was consumed before I understood how it worked. Totally different from Prepaid Simcard in Japan which I used for 14 days. I do not recommend it.

Horby, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

I am on a different opinion , I used it for six month in Korea 2016-2017 and spent less than 15000W a month. Turn of internet and use it only when there is free Wifi. As for calls price is fair inside Korea, If you must call overseas get a card for that (not simcard) but IPphone.

Edited: 20 July 2017, 07:54
Tamuning, Mariana...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

I agree

Don't buy

6 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

I bought a EG Sim card with 1GB internet which cost me USD15. With this sim card you get free WiFi (ollehwifi) almost everywhere, so I've been using it for almost a month and I still have 500MB remaining.

I strongly recommend it. ^^

6 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

I bought a EG Sim card with 1GB internet which cost me USD15. With this sim card you get free WiFi (ollehwifi) almost everywhere, so I've been using it for almost a month and I still have 500MB remaining.

I strongly recommend it. ^^

1 post
Save Reply
38. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

Be warned. The lady at the booth broke my phone and sim card. If you use their service do not allow them to install the sim card. I realized that my sim card(not the EG sim card) was messed up shortly after but only now a couple weeks later did I realize that the pins in my phone are actually broken. Now I'll explain how this happened.

I have two phones and I wanted to use my Moto X in Korea because it is a better phone than my galaxy S5. So the lady at the airport booth tried installing the EG sim card in my Moto X, only to tell me a few minutes later that the sim card won't fit and requested we used my other phone which I previously used in Korea when I lived here. It worked just fine in the S5. She spent several minutes messing with my phone behind the counter where I couldn't see what she was doing. Eventually I got both phones back and I was on my way. On the KTX I noticed that my Moto X didn't recognize my sim card anymore. So, later that day I popped the card out to inspect it and lo and behold the sim card has large scratches on it and the spring in the card tray broken as well but still functional. I assumed it was just a damaged sim card so I ordered a replacement so I can have it waiting for me when I go home. I had some free time today(still in Korea) and decided to inspect it closer only to find out the pins inside my phone are damaged.

Besides all this, their service is horrible. My eg sim service was turned off after a few day of use. I was never able to reach customer service. I tried calling on my girlfriends phone about 20 times(and not during the chuseok holiday).

Horrible experience. Not only was I unable to use their service, they also broke my $300 phone and sim card. I'm also quite sure the lady knew what she did, but assumed I wouldn't notice, and she was right for a while.

Horby, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

Well I used EG sim card for nearly 5 months in Korea and found it very cheap and useful , first you have to change settings in your mobilphone so it doesnt connect to Internet atoumaticly , choose only free Wifi to connect via , or connect via somebodys computer. The only problem is that you have to top up your voiceaccount via the dataplan and data plan cant be renewed unless empty.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!

It stopped working without any notice. So many people are complaining so strongly in their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/egsimcard .

For recent information about SIM in Korea, please refer the article https://simkorea.blog . There you can see all the information required to buy SIM in Korea.

Reply to: Do NOT buy an EG SIM card in Korea!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted