We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

Can someone recommend a reasonable hotel in Tiberias?

It should be fairly close (preferably walking distance) to the city centre and not more than about $US120 per night for two people in November

Thanks

Art

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

Referring to your previous post, I think you should decide first whether you are going to rent a car. If yes, this tremendously widens your selection of places to stay in the area, e.g. interesting towns like Rosh Pina that are inconvenient when using public transport.

Tiberius itself is not the most interesting town and there is not much to see within the city itself. There are several hotels located along the shore of the Sea of Galilee which are within walking distance of the centre of town (the others are on the highways going out of the city).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

thanks - to be honest and given that we drive here on the left-hand side of the road and you can see by my name that I'm not a great fan of driving, we'll probably give the hire car a miss and use pub transport

In any event it seems that the bus networks in Isr are fairly extensive, fares are cheap and Isr is small country and easy to get around - not like Australia where distances are vast!

So given that, what would you recommend as being a fair choice for a hotel as close as poss to the attractions?

appreciate your help in all this you've made planning our hol much easier!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

A couple of thoughts.

First, I note that you are also planning on staying in Tsfat (Safed). Those cities are very close, no more than a 15-20 minute drive apart. Is there a particular reason you want to stay in both? Because you can use either as a base to explore the region without changing hotels.

Second, I totally understand your reticence to drive. That said, it is very hard to explore the Galilee using public transport. Many of the most interesting sites are not on bus lines at all. So here, you might consider it, or hire a driver or driving guide.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

After I posted this, I read the latest in your other thread, where you are looking at Tiberias as an alternative to Tsfat. I agree that Tiberias has more options to explore the region. And I'm glad to hear that you're thinking about the car in some part.

Of course, your friends in Katzrin may be willing/able to drive you about as well.

Douglas Duckett

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
87 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

Try the Prima Galil.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

Thanks all, for your help. Will follow up your suggestions!

regards,

Art

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

The Prima Tiberia (Galil) is a very good hotel, but not walkable to the center. Very quick taxi or Sherut (shared van) to the center from the hotel though.

Dallas, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

I have stayed at the Royal Plaza, and it was a great experiance. Very close to the city center.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

Thanks!

regards, Art

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in Tiberias - recommendations please!

I'm not a big fan of the Royal Plaza. The hotel is dated and has maintenance issues. The staff is mostly indifferent to any problems. I did like the dining room staff and enjoyed the food (still hotel food, but some nice touches and very friendly staff in Nov 2008). It's not far out of Tiberias, but it's not in the city core either.

I would look for another option, but I've certainly stayed in worse places.