We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

Israel hospitality is substandard to American/ Europian, especially in highly visited area of Jerusalem.

Even hotels in Israel lack in small conveniences tourists used to, but some apartments have are unacceptible hospitality, for example Ha Neliim # 49, at Monbaz 3, Jerusalem

33 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,137 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

You have just made a broad statement with no details. Exactly what have you found lacking. Most tourists find Israelis to be warm, and welcoming. How can a rental apartment have or not have hospitality. ,please explain what you clam are deficits.

Edited to add, looking at your reviews you seem unhappy with almost everything. ( not only Israel) Could it be your expectations are not realistic?

Edited: 18 May 2018, 13:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

rdglady

Don't feed the troll.

Shabbat Shalom V'Chag Sameach

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

Apartments, where we stayed in, didn't match their descriptions: close to beach - was a good 30 min walk; dishwasher, coffe-machine, toiletries - just wasn't there.

I was completely grossed out that HaNavi'im residence#49@ Jerusalem didn't have flat sheet, just comforter. When I contacted the manager, he was nothing but rude, didn't even try to resolve the problem. There were 1 pillow per person, and rock- hard mattress, an iron instead of ironing facility.

Even when we stayed in the hotel, there was 1 ironing room for the all hotel w/ 1 iron - not an iron in every room, like in US

I may have high expectations, but I book hotels/ tours/ tickets based on reviews I read. You need to hear all opinions before making your choice.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
157 reviews
4. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

Wow. How interesting to hear such trivial complaints and not a single word about just how fascinating our country is to explore.

Isn't it marvelous that the whole world doesn't operate like middle America?

Coffee machine? In Israel (as in much of Europe), the norm is toward anything but American style filter coffee.

Flat sheets? Try visiting nearly any continental European country and you'll find none of those. Israel is no different. Most of us locals use the duvet and duvet cover system only.

How about you tell us about some of the amazing places you experienced in our country?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,492 posts
232 reviews
5. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

I'm from less than two hours away from you. I have been to Israel sixteen times, and find your broad overgeneralizations hugely out of line. It is true that Israelis don't generally do "Midwest nice" in their mannerisms, but you way overstate the case.

Interesting spelling of "European," by the way.

And I looked at your reviews. Yes, more often that not, you seem to look for things to complain about.

Douglas Duckett

6. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 May 2018, 11:52

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

It is our first trip abroad in 20 years. We would have enjoyed our trip to Israel a lot more if we could rested better w/Midwest hospitality. We were fortunate to find Midwest hospitality in Greece, which is a Europian country. Greeks were very warm and welcoming to us, and Israel seamed to be " tourist-fatigued" country.

For all of those disagree w/ my post - people need to know different opinions to make informed decisions.

I am sure there are people who will find my post helpful, and will be cautious choosing accommodations in Israel.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
589 posts
1 review
8. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

This thread is misnamed. It has been discussing rentals and advertising, not hospitality. Despite the fact that resorts and hotels, at least in America, call themselves the "hospitality industry" (a term a) for lack of a better one, and b) meant to encourage potential customers), despite that, the word hospitality refers not to commerce but to people welcoming guests to their own home. And I assure you that Israelis are very hospitable.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,137 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

Thank you for getting back to us and explaining what problems you had. Like others, I have difficulty with your explanations.

a. if an apartment wasn't located etc. as advertised than complain to the listing agent. ( or company) There are no official guidelines as to what constitutes "near the beach"etc. Dishwasher, toiletries etc. , what was promised? Can you show a link to this horrible apartment.

b. Today, even in the US, flat sheets are falling into disuse. Comforters are either in duvet covers with the cover washed after each use, or the comforter itself is washed after each person. Personally, I like when a hotel strips off the duvet cover and washes it--rather than the old system of taking a blanket, used by who knows who and just changing a top sheet! ( yuck!)

c. All over the world I've been in hotels with irons in every room, irons on the floor and an ironing room on every even ( or odd) floor. There doesn't seem to be much standardization. I also find it funny. I have homes in both NYC and Netanya Israel, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used an iron in the past 6-8 months. ( and no, I am NOT a slob)

d. There is nothing wrong with writing a review and giving your opinion.( positive or negative) However, you didn't write a review. You took a very broad bush and painted very large inaccurate statements. I do not know how anyone could have benefited from it.

edited to ask: and why is this all in the Safed forum. Did you even visit Safed?

Edited: 24 May 2018, 01:00
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
21 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien

I just returned from Israel and could not have felt more welcome. They love Americans! Even school children welcomed us at all the sights. They adore our President as well.

Reply to: Do not expect Israel hospitality to match American/ Europien
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted