We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advise please

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
101 posts
130 reviews
Some advise please

I want to spend around 15 days in Israel in December near New Years . I have the following queries -

1) Is December right time to visit Israel ?

2) I want to make 3 destinations as base n stay there and do day trips to nearby destinations , please suggest which cities should I choose .

7 replies to this topic
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
227 reviews
1. Re: Some advise please

December is obviously winter, and it could be sunny and mild or it could be quite chilly with a lot of rain. It won't rain for day at a time generally, but it is the rainy season. Days are also very short, with the sun setting by 5:00 p.m., which does cut into touring time. But lots of people go, and you can absolutely have a great trip.

For a base, I would plan on Tel Aviv for three nights, 3-5 nights up north in the Haifa/Akko area or the Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) area or (as I prefer) both, and a full week in Jerusalem at least, with one day and possibly night at the Dead Sea to see that area and Masada. You could also go south instead, but the north has more history and religious interest.

If it would be of help in planning your trip, I would be happy to send a copy of a free, noncommercial guide to Israel travel that I offer to anyone who asks. It is now an updated, 68-page .pdf file, but don't be daunted; you can skip around as you like. To get it, just write me at Labatt@fuse.net -- do NOT send me a message through the TripAdvisor message system -- and I will send it as a file attachment via return e-mail. And no strings -- I am not even in the travel business.

The guide is based on my own travel experiences and as said above, I am not in the travel business, so it does not purport to be all-encompassing or a substitute for a more thorough, comprehensive, and professional guidebook. For that, I recommend either Frommer's or Fodor's. It does have lots of hotel and restaurant recommendations, as well as suggested itineraries and other information about Israel travel.

My offer goes to anyone reading this, by the way, but as said above, you must send me an e-mail, NOT a message on Trip Advisor, as I cannot send file attachments through that medium and will not copy and paste e-mail addresses over to my e-mail program. I get a lot of requests for this guide and this is not my job, so I hope you understand I need it done that way. (And I'm sorry if this sounds strident -- not my intent -- but nearly every day someone blows past those clear directions and sends me a private message requesting the guide.)

I hope that you have a wonderful visit!

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,478 posts
2. Re: Some advise please

You have posted in the Bat Yam forum. Bat Yam is a suburb of Tel Aviv, and it has nothing of tourist interest except the beach. December isn't beach weather...

What are your interests? Religion (which one?), history (which period?), architecture, food, hiking, scenery, museums...

Would you rent a car or use public transport? Public transport is generally good, but in some areas - particularly the Galilee - buses are infrequent and the timetables are designed to serve the needs of local residents, not tourists, so it can be difficult to put together a day of touring by bus. If you won't have a car, consider day tours of the Galilee and Dead Sea areas.

Just so you know, neither Christmas nor New Year are holidays in Israel. There will be some small private New Year parties in pubs and restaurants, but no official celebrations, fireworks, or anything like that.

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,951 posts
322 reviews
3. Re: Some advise please

December is a nice time to come. It's not too cold, there are not so many crowds in most places (except Christian religious sites), it may be rainy but that doesn't last much. You should spend time in Jerusalem, the Galilee (perhaps Tiberias or one of the kibbutz hotels) and Tel Aviv.

Coming from India be sure to apply for visas in plenty of time prior to booking your trip to be sure you have them in order.

Chana

Israel

United States
Level Contributor
329 posts
4. Re: Some advise please

Hi Douglas:

We will have an extra day in Jerusalem since our flight for the US will take place at night. We need your advice on what places /sites we should see again or see for the first time (in case it is not covered by our tour). We are global travelers and would like to take as many pictures as we want as we would not know when we can go back to that place.

Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
101 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Some advise please

Thanks Douglas , will mail you soon

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Some advise please

Global T: please start your own thread.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,799 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Some advise please

Global --please start your own thread and include your itinerary or a link to your itinerary. WE can't make suggestions without knowing what your tour covers

BTW, this is an open forum and loads of people with loads of first hand knowledge will respond. If you only want to talk to Douglas--than email him and get only his point of view.

Reply to: Some advise please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bat Yam
Recent Conversations