We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Babi Guling in Ubud

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
133 reviews
Babi Guling in Ubud

Hi guys

I have heard about the "famous" babi guling from Ibu Oka in Ubud, they get mixed reviews on TA, so Im wondering if there is somewhere better that you could recommend?

There is only two of us so we cant order a whole pig......or can we??? Nah better not hahaha

Edited: 13 June 2013, 09:26
Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

Having eaten at Ibu Oka's a few times over the years and also her new restaurant in Mas I would not bother fighting the tourists for a slice of her babi guling. To tell you the truth I have never found a bad babi guling so keep your eyes open and just give one a go wherever you happen to be (having said that I tend to eat where the locals are eating, not where I see tourists).

Gianyar, a 20 minute taxi trip from Ubud, is famous for babi guling. If you are adventurous you could visit the Senggol night market in Gianyar - open from about 4-9pm - there are quite a number of babi guling warung and you can then try other local dishes, desserts and drinks. It is good fun.

Another great babi guling warung close to Ubud is in Sanggigan on the left-hand side of the road as you are heading north from Ubud.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

Jan: I could not agree with you more! Ibu Oka's is famous and good, but there are so many others. As in so many cases, it's sometimes better to just see what is more convenient and close by rather than race around to go to the famous one. I usually check to see if there is good crackling available (sometimes not) before I decide on a kiosk to eat at.

Besides the one in Gianyar, I also like the one in Sanggingan and there is a good one in the Payangan market as well..but better to go early as Babi Guling usually goes fairly quickly. And there are probably hundreds of other very good Babi Guling spots that are never talked about on the internet but delicoius and fresh.

Just look for the sign with the Pig on a spit with the fruit in its mouth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
133 reviews
3. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

Thanks guys, good tip Ubudpuppy to go to a place with lots of crackle! mmmmmmm crackle, my mouth is watering already

Denpasar, Bali...
Level Contributor
251 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

Famous doesn't mean the best right? Ffor me as the local. I eat Bali Guling since I was kid and everywhere! Iif you are local, you can find it that Ibu Oka isn't the best yet in Bali. There's much better and it all currently in Denpasar which is not tourist destination :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

You are right! I will keep an eye out while I'm in Denpasar too. Terima kasih.

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
119 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

Bu Oka's Babi Guling is not superior to those Babi Guling stalls you see almost everywhere in Bali. And Bu Oka is also quite expensive. You can get the same thing for half the price anywhere else. Some of the famous Babi Guling stalls among locals and clean enough are Hang Tuah Babi Guling in Renon and Chandra Babi Guling in Teuku Umar street. They're both located in Denpasar.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
529 posts
133 reviews
7. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

Thanks for the info Ryuta :o)

8. Re: Babi Guling in Ubud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 06:20