We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Miranda NSW
3 posts
Snorkeling

I'm coming to Bali with my family in October. We'll be staying in Sanur. I love snorkeling, however I've only been once and that was in Hawaii. I'm not experienced at all so I don't want to go off shore too far but I still want to see beautiful coral and marine life. Can anyone recommend where in Bali I should go snorkeling? I don't want to be driving 2 hours with my 8 year old to get to a good site though, but I will if I have to.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Snorkeling

padangbai in the harhour of the beach is okay but not great. blue lagoon around the corner is good with coral and fish close to shore.

next stop candidasa inside (high tide) and outside the breakwall. there are a number of spots between padangbai and candidasa as well.

next stop amed, quite a few spots along the coast in this area.

for what you want snorkel on east coast and north coast of bali.

you tube link to0 snorkel in blue lagoon:

http://youtu.be/bpVysVnFgMQ

Miranda NSW
3 posts
2. Re: Snorkeling

Have you ever been snorkeling on the USS Liberty wreck Is it worth the drive from Sanur? I read it takes about 2 hours.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Snorkeling

no i haven't. i snorkelled at at japanese boat wreck but it was firly deep for snorkelling. maybe better with a low tide.

below is some info on the wreck i got from a diving site:

The US Liberty wreck: entering the water from the black pebble beach can be quite difficult, but after about 30 meter you reach the black volcanic sand. The wreck lies on a sandy slope parallel to the shore, roughly southeast (stern) to northwest (bow). Part of the superstructure is close to the surface (about 5m) and can also be reached by snorkelers. The wreck is about 120m long, the deepest point is around 30m and it is nicely covered with corals and sponges. This is not a very difficult wreck to dive on (see my report on wreck diving in the Philippines), there are only a few places where you can penetrate, all towards the bow. When you make your safety stop you can just lie on the sand and observe the animals that live there. Night dives at the wreck are something special but should only be attempted if you are good with your buoyancy! We saw flashlightfish (turn off the lamp), special cowries, nudibranchs and many spider crabs.

Miranda NSW
3 posts
4. Re: Snorkeling

Thanks heaps for that. Might be a little tricky for a novice diver. I went snorkeling in Hanauma Bay on Oahu in Hawaii. That was amazing and very easy to dive on

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
5. Re: Snorkeling

Pemuteran ( Menjangan island ) - west of Bali is worth to visit : has the largest area of shallow coral reefs in Bali that are easily accessible, because the area is calm and free of strong currents and waves which affect most other parts of the island. The spectacular coral reef growth near land made for a diving and snorkeling paradise. Because the area is furthest from the island’s main tourism centers to the south, it was quiet and unspoiled, and Its recommended to stay on this area, its about 3 hours drive from Sanur.

6. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2012, 21:02
Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Snorkeling

The Liberty wreck is way too deep for snorkelling!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Snorkeling

Anything worth while is a 2 hour drive unfortunately plus there can be some strong currents.

Safest with an 8yr old would be to get a boat at Pandang Bai and do Blue Lagoon. At least then you can let the currents take you and get picked up.

If the 8 yr old is an okish swimmer and not prone to panicking Amed or White Sand beach are much much better. Amed stright out the front of Amed cafe is ok or best place look right from there see the point and go out from the beach there. White sand beach go out half way down where you see the rocks on the beach head away from the warungs.

9. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Sanur