We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independant bookings and protection

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Independant bookings and protection

Hello,

Can anyone offer advice on booking flights and accomodation seperately rather than through an agent.

I am considering booking my own flights and a villa in Sanur instead of using a travel agent. However I am concerned about not having any protection should anything go wrong. If using a travel agent then everything is protected by ATOL so I'm a bit worried about not having this.

Can anyone advice me of ways to protect your bookings? Or if their is a way to find out if the accomodation company has to offer compensation or a refund if anything goes wrong?

Thanks!

Michelle

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independant bookings and protection

Well that's what you need to weigh up. If booking all yourself, you don't really have any protection if things aren't what you wanted. Travel insurance will cover if there are real problems with your accomodation and flights,, but booking through an agent does give more cover. If I was coming all the way from London, I would certainly check out package deals as you often get very good ones. Many companies offer free nights at hotels for very discounted airfares if you combine.

Look carefully at what is on offer and good luck. :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Independant bookings and protection

we are going back to bali in may 12

i did all my bookings online no agents saved $600aud

yes i have travel insurance as well.

but we all take risks in life.

as linda says you are in london maybe good package deal

i got the flights 2adults 1 child for $1044aud

with garuda.

cant complain. garuda have deals on the 13/14/15/16 of each month

just a thought .

enjoy bali if u get there

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independant bookings and protection

There is no way i would use a travel agent anymore, they all try to get u to stay where they want u to stay, because thet get kickbacks, i told a popular travel agent here in s.a where i wanted to stay, but the told me that they were all full, but bugga me when i went on the villas websites, i've got rooms, and after booking flights, rooms etc myself, i saved over $1200.00 for the 17 nights that we are staying over there.

Travel agents are still advertising $751.00 airfares today in the paper, but go online and you can get it for $517.00 which is pretty good from Adelaide.

Do it yourself online, and save heaps.

Stonie

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Independant bookings and protection

I have not used a travel agent for a few years now.

I have found that I xan get a better deal and much more choice by booking myself

I do always take out travel insurance and so far all accom I have booked has turned out great.

My advice would be to do your homework.

Check out what you can book it for compared to an agent then weigh it up.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independant bookings and protection

Haven't used a travel agent in years- unlikely we would use them again!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Independant bookings and protection

I've just booked 22 day in Bali plus flights insurance etc without using a travel agent.

You would be surprised at how many places just book you in without having to make any payments up front. Some did but most don't. A lot of them accept payment via Paypal so even if it does go wrong you get your money back.

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Independant bookings and protection

I know how you feel Michelle! Last Bali visit (1st trip o/s as a family) I went entirely via a travel agent. It worked very well for us as I got them to price match my quotes on our accommodation & flights so price was right but I still had the peace of mind that it was all booked in by a professional. This next trip I was brave and booked flights myself online (have triple checked I have the dates & details correct but cross your fingers for me it's all ok!). I attempted the accommodation directly with hotels but felt a bit nervous as I am travelling with a child and have some specific requests so I whimped out and went via the agent again. Again she price matched so it all worked out well.

Next time I will try to do it all myself just for the experience as I'm not sure I will save very much. I always do my homework first so know the going rates.

Actually last year flight centre price matched Jetstar flights and the agent in her enthusiasm to book all our accommodation as well (which I wasn't ready to do 7 month in advance - needed time to research) made me paid for the flights in full on the day which is fair but failed to give me the $1 off per person & issue the $20 voucher which is their 'beat any airfare or you fly free' agreement. Long story short she messed up and we flew free there and back! True story! So going through an agent can also work out better for the hip pocket.

All the best which ever way you go.

Monowilli

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Independant bookings and protection

flight centre never give out free flights

they make sure they beat the quotes with stupid flying times and change days as well, this happened to me last year . i got a quote and said we will beat .but on a different day as mid week flying is cheaper

as i said we saved over $600 with booking online

even hotel direct was 100 cheaper normally booking.com is cheaper

you get that

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Independant bookings and protection

Hi blocker. I can assure you we did fly free at the time & date I wanted. No mucking us about what so ever. The agent stuffed up, I had proof & flight centre honored their policy. Pretty straight forward really. The rest of our itinerary was handled professionally & we had a great holiday.

All the best. Monowilli

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Independant bookings and protection

Linda you are wrong again insurance does not cover you if something goes wrong with your flights. We are in Bali now and caught up in the air Australia mess our travel insurance does not cover us I know the airline has gone broke the only way you may get your money back is if you paid by credit card.if you paid cash you have no chance. You have to pay again and travel home with another airline kobrob

Get answers to your questions about Sanur