We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanur or Seminyak

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sanur or Seminyak

At first, I thought Seminyak would be ideal for the south Bali portion of my 10-day trip in early Dec 2011. Restaurants, massages, shopping at my fingertips. And villas with kitchen facilities to cook for my 2-yr old. But it's pretty expensive & it's hard to find airconed living rooms - the boy's allergic to mozzies.

After doing tons of research though, I start to wonder if Sanur would suit us better? It'll just be the 2 of us with the lil guy, & I'd like to be able to pop out for my massages or shopping fixes while he naps or just let hubby babysit him. It seems too, that eating & massages in Sanur are more affordable compared to Seminyak prices. Plus I keep reading about Sanur's beach being more suitable for younger kids. And the hotels/villas are closer to the beach for easier access. And that Sanur is quieter & not so manic.

Can anyone advise on the 'geography' & 'culture' of Sanur? Such as, is it a small place where I can just walk to massages, eateries, shops? Is everything really more affordable compared to Seminyak? Would it be easy to taxi to Seminyak if I want to go to a more upmarket restaurant or shops? Is the place more kid-friendly than Seminyak in terms of kids club, beaches to play at, the pools etc?

What would be a good place to stay? I saw Bali Pavilions & it looks good to me, coz it has airconed living area.

I'd appreciate any advice, comparisons, insight etc as I'm really very confused & I've not been researching on Sanur at all yet. Thanks heaps!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

Seminyak massages are no more expensive than any where else unless you go to a top class spa. But, I do think Sanur would suit yu more with a young family. It is very easy t cab it to the great restaurants in Seminyak and you can even leave the child at the hotel with husband for some shopping.

Sanur has a nice beach, is more laid back but still has decent eating and massage.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

i would choose sanur,approx 7ks of paved beachfront,bit quieter but very laidback,great little restaurants,bars, shopping and plenty of massage places,still with easy access to kuta/legian/seminyak.

good luck

david

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

Yep, agree, Sanur would be ideal.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

Thanks for your replies. Think I'll have to look at Sanur seriously as my south Bali base.

Is there anything in Seminyak that I won't be able to get in Sanur - other than the top-rated restaurants?

Just to confirm that Seminyak and Sanur are approx. 45min taxi ride away?

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

I love the restaurants in Sanur much more than the ones in Seminyak - you definitely will not be disappointed with the variety & prices there. The walking paths are also a bit better than many of the roads in Seminyak. And, of course, there is a lot less traffic.

We love Sanur & Seminyak for different reasons, but with a young child in toe, Sanur would be my choice.

Cheers,

Sandy

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,566 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

It depends on traffic really, but 47 mins would be nearer the mark.

The main thing you won't be able to get in Sanur compared to Seminyak is the terrible traffic. Seminyak also has a much bigger selection of designer boutique shops than Sanur has.

Since you have 10 days, you could consider splitting your time between Sanur and Seminyak and have the best of both worlds.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

Thanks, Sandy. I've been coming to the conclusion that Sanur would suit better with my 2-yr old. Just wanted to get confirmation from those who've been to both places.

HNB

Wow, I had no idea that I had to allocate an additional 2 min to my travel time! Thanks a lot for the advice, else it may throw my whole day out of sync without that extra 2 min in mind lol.

I'm already planning to split my time between Ubud & Sanur (previously Seminyak) just for a different feel. Can't really afford that long a break, so Seminyak'll probably have to wait for my next trip :)

Perth
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

Bali Pavilions is not right on the beach. It's very close but is on the opposite side of JL Danau Tamblingan. There are many other accommodation choices that are on the other side of this road & right on the beach. In my opinion it's so much nicer being right on the beach.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

It's only 45 minutes from Sanur to Seminyak in the afternoon traffic. Early in the morning and later in the evening it's only about 20 minutes.

Last month we left Sanur at 5.25pm (I had called the people we were meeting to let them know we would be late) We pulled up outside our restaurant on Eat St at 5.58pm for a 6pm booking.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanur or Seminyak

Finding accomodation on the beach or at least the beach side of the road at Sanur would be a much better option with a toddler. You can push the stroller along the esplanade with no problems at all without having to deal with traffic and can even hire a bike with a baby seat for added adventure. You can also stroll out of your beachfront hotel onto the sand for games with him in your costumes, without having to lug everything that a 2 year old needs with you.

There are some lovely restaurants in Sanur, lots of fine dining choices if that is what you like. Kayu Manis, Mona Lisa and Charming are just a few that come to mind, I am sure that others will suggest more. I prefer eating in Sanur than Seminyak, I actually hate Eat St, cant stand the noise of the constant traffic, absolutely no ambience whatsoever in my opinion.

Kate