We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mugged

Perth
Level Contributor
99 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Mugged

Went to the money changers on the main strip it is also a second hand book shop near little bird warung , changed 200 Aud ,when back in the hotel counted it again and it was short of 300000irp around 30 Aud , don't know how he did it, I counted it out myself but he did pick it up for a second while I gave him some change, so it's goodnight Vienna to my 30. Bucks, so if you use any of the changers offering a bit over 10000irp to the Aud make sure you are the last one to touch the money before you leave the shop or better still give the robbing ###kers a swerve altogether.

35 replies to this topic
melbourne
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Mugged

I tried a money changer who wasn't a recognised one. I know all the tricks, but thought I'd give it a go anyway as there weren't any others around.

He tried the 'calculator' trick on me. I only ever change $100 at a time, so I'm certain of how much IDR I should receive. He used his calculator to calculate the amount, which of course was not correct. I told him I knew what he was doing, and he took the money away and I walked away with my AUD.

These scrupulous money changers are not likely to allow you to leave with more money. If you out them in the initial exchange, they'll just take the IDR back and you'll have your currency back. It's a no-lose situation for them.

They either steal some of your money, or they just don't do the transaction.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Mugged

That's right. Often the rate they offer with no commission is so enticing that people fall for it. When you get suspicious then they might try it a bit longer especially if you are trying to exchange a larger amount and not an even amount. But when you accuse them then they prefer to to not do the deal but wait for the next target.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Mugged

When I change my money, I always change in $100 amounts & put each 100,000rp in a large paper clip so hard for them to pinch & easy for me to count, I just count paper clips in my bumbag 😎😎

Cheers Mac

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Mugged

Can sympathise with you. I come to Bali every month and never had an issue with money changers. My husband and I watched and recounted money many times but figure the scam was when he asked for small notes to balance the exchange We didn't think we had taken our eyes of the money but I had to look in my wallet and he obviously was very good at scamming. It didn't help that we had had no sleep due to flight reroutings. My daughter and I went back 2 days later and confronted the shop but it was a different guy on the desk who, without hesitating rang another, and immediately offered 700,000 of the million we were duped. I took it as I was just pleased to get most of it back but obviously this is a regular scam. Shall be going back to take a photo of shop and if first guy is there, asking for my 300,000. Money changer is on opposite side of road to BAWA in Sanur, and looks like a fly by nighter so I should have known better!

Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
35. Re: Mugged

lol @ Jacooob , good job! You showed him :)

I'll only change at official places and not let the person touch the money after it's been put down for me to count.

Reply to: Mugged
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted