We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
62 posts
54 reviews
Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

Hi,

I had a pretty bad experience in the Putri Santrian hotel and would like to warn people against staff stealing from your room.

This was my experience (May 2018):

- On arrival they gave me a room with two single beds while I had booked a double bed. There was chaos about this for hours, I was on the phone with receptionists for hours. As a 'solution' they even tried to put sheets between the two beds, as if you don't feel that! Very unprofessional.

- All this chaos, and finally I got the solution: the room next door has a double bed. I don't understand why this was not said before sending maintenance with those sheets, telling me that only tomorrow a room with a double bed would come up etc.

- While moving to the new room with double bed, I forgot to move my sweater, which I had hung in the closet (only item, as I just came from airport). I remember this distinctively because when I hung the sweater, I remember seeing a robe and rotan slippers, which reminded me of another hotel I stayed in and had really loved. And because I deliberately took the hanger without angles, to not damage the delicate merino wool of my sweater. (I write this because I was later accused by a staff member that I did not hang the sweater there and had lost it myself).

- Half an hour later I’m in my new room, happy with it, when I suddenly realize: oh, I forgot my sweater in the closet of the previous room. I called reception and someone came with a key. But when I opened the closet, my sweater was gone!!

- My sweater never turned up again. I loved that sweater and was gutted about this! It had "mysteriously disappeared", according to the receptionists and management. One receptionist even claimed spirits had something to do with it. Personally, I don't believe in spirits stealing sweaters. There had been 4 people in the room while I was moving: two boys from maintenance, an older man and the woman who showed me the room. I am very sure that one of them has taken it. There is no other option.

- I had booked and paid for 4 nights in the hotel, so could not leave, but after this I never let maintenance in my room when I wasn’t there. And I kept all my valuables in my suitcase, which I locked 24/7, also when I was asleep. So I felt very unsafe in the hotel.

- Never did I receive any information, apology or compensation from management. This made me feel like noone gave a damn, which is a horrible feeling after someone in the hotel just stole from you. They only said they were 'investigating' it. At my check-out I asked to speak with the manager, and he still said the same vague thing about the 'investigation'. Again he did not apologize, did not offer any information and did not offer any compensation, not even a free tea... Needless to say I never heard back about this so-called investigation (they said they would e-mail me, but never got anything).

They replied to my Tripadvisor review, but it's a weird reply. They only mention the mix-up with the single beds, but not the theft. And they keep saying they are "investigating" everything.

Right...

19 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
3 reviews
11. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

Sorry for your loss. Seems strange for anyone to steal a sweater. Are you absolutely sure it was stolen?

If so, then I agree with publicly posting something like this.

However, I would never do this unless I was absolutely POSITIVE it was stolen.

I would also alert the hotel to the fact that you have posted this publicly, and give them a chance (again) to do something about it. If they fix it, then you could remove the post.

Personally, so far I haven't had anything stolen from my hotel room in Bali, but I've only stayed at small B&Bs.

australia
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
12. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

I do like that suggestion, radames. I've not experienced a loss of anything in my Bali accommodation over many years as I follow SurfingWild's routine but just in case....

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
62 posts
54 reviews
13. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

Thanks for your reply, Radames. Funny you would say that, because that is the exact way I went about it in the very beginning. I guess I was also in some sort of denial in the beginning and I truly wanted to believe someone had accidently taken the sweater. Also I felt instinctively that was the way to go about it and I did not want to start accusing people right from the start.

It was only the day later, also after I had caught up on some sleep (after the flight) that I fully realized: someone actually stole my sweater from my closet. But even when the receptionist gave that line about Bali having spirits and how they make things miraculously disappear and appear again, I nodded and said: "I don't think I believe in that, but let's hope so." Because I knew/felt that taking the confronting road would lead me nowhere.

And funny that, because now I think: maybe I should have been very confronting, instead of nicely waiting for the so-called investigation etc. Maybe they all just laughed behind my back... Maybe being confronting would have made more of an impression on hem...

I don't know...

The only time I was 'confronting' was at check-out, when that manager was clearly just trying to get rid of me and feedling me a lot of bs about "the investigation" and in an extremely indirect way said he wasn't going to give any kind of compensation. And it wasn't even 'confronting' I think: just a quite direct question from me, in opposite to his extreme indirectness, because I just had it with all the bs...

And 'funny': I am usually very very careful with my stuff. Like others have described to keep all their valuable stuff in their suitcase, locked, and how they use the 'don't disturb' sign: that is exactly how I do things.

Only this time: I was extremely tired, there was the mix-up with the single beds, all of a sudden 4 staff members in my room, a lot of chaos going on. And the ONE thing I had hung in the closed had vanished...

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
62 posts
54 reviews
14. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

@ TA: I just don't see what else could have happened... Sweaters don't just disappear. And I am a 1000 percent sure one minute it was in the closet, the next, after 4 people had been in the room, it was gone...

Yes, I wrote the hotel an email about it a few days ago, as you suggest. Wanted to give them one last chance to make this some sort of right.

They have not replied. And I don't think they will reply...

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
62 posts
54 reviews
15. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

O and btw: some staff had said that in Bali noone wants a woolen sweater, so that it's really weird that precisely that item has gone 'missing'. I agreed at first, about the weirdness. (I had the sweater with me mostly for on the plane). But not after I saw what Balinese people wear on a typical windy evening of in the evenings on their motorbikes: sweaters, vests, coats etc, warmer than my fine merino woolen cardigan.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
32 reviews
16. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

Great tip Radames 😎😎😎😎

London, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
311 reviews
17. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

Ditto. Good tip Radames. Cultural differences can make things interesting in getting to the bottom of missing items.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience, Sarina. You've already done as much as you can at this point, making people aware on here (and I'd imagine through social media), write a review reflecting the circumstance and chasing them again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
18. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

I have stayed in Bali 12 times now ,,always a month or more at a time and never had a problem,,left a laptop once,,beer in fridge all sorts of things and never had a problem,,think you were probably just unlucky,,,but have put this property on my No go List...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
19. Re: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!

I have stayed in Bali 12 times now ,,always a month or more at a time and never had a problem,,left a laptop once,,beer in fridge all sorts of things and never had a problem,,think you were probably just unlucky,,,but have put this property on my No go List...

Reply to: Puri Santrian: beware of stealing staff!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sanur
Recent Conversations