We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering varanasi

Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Considering varanasi

Hi Everybody:

Am considering a trip to Varanasi, 50 yrs old female traveling alone.

I'm really just going to walk the city and visit whatever comes my way. Question: Is this a large town? Is it walkable and easy to navigate? Any budget hotel or airport suggestions?

Thanks much,

AuntVic

Varanasi
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Considering varanasi

Hey there !!

Just to let you know... Varanasi is amazing !! If you can avoid bit of dirtiness like cow poop and stuffs... you will definitely enjoy..

It is quite large and full of people , Indian pilgrims and foreigners ... but you can easily explore the ghats , temples and some sites by foot.. if you have plenty of time ..

Regarding hotels... you can check Alka hotel, Ganpati Guest House, Sita Guest House, even Puja Guest House , or Scindhia Guest House.. but don't expect luxury comforts from these ones.. they just do the job :)

Let me know if you need some more suggestions !!

Cheers

Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Considering varanasi

Hi,

Thanks!

Dirtiness (real life!) doesn't bother me a bit. Are you from India or a frequent traveler to there?

I tour by myself, as often as possible (this usually works out, on a financially decent year, about 1 trip per year. I made the mistake once of putting Fatima on a credit card, and am still trying to pay that off!)

I'm in the US Southwestern Ohio, near Cincinnati. This would be my first India trip, I've done China and Bangkok. The hardest part is the length of time spent on a plane. Maybe I should leave from the US west coast instead of the east when going to India.

Thanks again for your correspondence,

Victoria (AuntVic)

Varanasi, India
2 posts
3. Re: Considering varanasi

I think ur going to have a good time here in Varanasi. What I can get from your post is that ur looking for exploring some different aspects of the world and trust me either in a good or in a bad way...Varanasi will surprise u each moment ur here. Banaras is all about the experiences going through different things like sitting on ghats, early morning boating with flute sounds in background, awesome fooding, nice smoke (m sorry but it is..) and so many other things like going to ceremony places, burning ghats, trying some genuine massage, silk shops etc etc.

Well just u need to hang out with some good crowd (what u can get very easily as the city is full of tourists, just find someone of ur taste and frequency). What is must here is to be a bit open to understand the non materialistic minds of a human. Trust me u will love it simply.

For any other assistance do buzz BABA Tuk Tuk ( Ma very small trvel support company in Varanasi, i hope u liked the name :) hahaha).

Do njoi

4. Re: Considering varanasi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:21