We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

Boston...
Level Contributor
50 posts
55 reviews
Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

I am fit 40 year old American male spending two weeks in India in mid February and will fly into Delhi and spend the first five days in the Golden Triangle area, before 2 days in Mumbai and then off to Kerala. I am looking for advice on what I must see in the Golden Triangle and what is worth skipping. I want to see classics like the Taj, but also don't mind getting off the beaten path and exploring things that not everbody sees. Should I do Delhi, Agrai, Jaipur or should I substitute Udaipur or another city. Any insight and advise is appreciated. I don't know if I should hire a driver, tour guide, or just do it on my own as well. After the Triangle is it best to fly to Mumbai or is a train doable?

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
1. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

You muct add Pushkar , Fateh pur sikri in your itinerary as its worth visiting.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
190 posts
2. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

worth to give a visit to fethpur sikri,bharatpur birds sanctuary, on the way from agra to jaipur.than pushkar enroute from jaipur to udaipur.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

I will prefer Udaipur in place of Jaipur.It is a small city and not that crowded because Jaipur is state capital.As you are young man of 40 my suggetion is you take train Shatabdi Express from New Delhi for Agra. From Agra also it is overnight train Journey to Udaipur or 4hrs. by train to Jaipur. All these places are very well connected by road and rail. In each city you can hire local transport and guide at every place.

In Agra- three world heritage sites-Taj, Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri. You can visit Fatehpur Sikri, Bharatpur bird Sanctuary and Deeg palaces in one day from Agra.

From Jaipur or Udaipur you will get direct flight to Mumbai and will be convinient to fly from any city.

deepak

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

While I was giving a tour day before yesterday a tourist asked me to show her the old city behind the south gate of the Taj Mahal.....I must say I loved it......we went into the not touristy market.....and went further in to see Katra Reshum which might not have been very clean but was an experience to see.....and not many people go to see that place.....it will be very nice to take pictures and something which u definitely will not see anywhere else.......

Sunil

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
57 posts
5. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

HI!! If I was you and spending 2 weeks in India, I would spare atleast 7-8 days for the Golden Triangle Tour. Mumbai is just another metro so you can very well skip it and do the rest in Kerala.If you increase you days in Rajasthan, you can also visit Ranthambore, Tiger Safari, etc. Jaipur and Udaipur are both worth a visit. But I would choose Jaipur because Udaipur is a little far from Delhi and Agra. Good Luck!!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,979 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

Rolls over and dies....aaaaaaaaargh...."Mumbai is just another metro" ??

:)

- Deepa

Edited: 15 January 2010, 07:06
Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

Your options are as follows -

Only North India -

Delhi-Varanasi-Khajuraho-Orchha-Agra-Ranthambore-Jaipur-Jodhpur-Udaipur - Delhi

North - India + Goa + Kerala

Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - Udaipur - Cochin - Allepey - Marari - Goa - Delhi

You can get itinerary suggestions and quotes from Rajasthan Association of Tour Operator members thru the website query form at www.ratorajasthan.org

8. Re: Golden Triangle - what's not on the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:18