We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"overall' Please narrow it down

mendham, NJ
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"overall' Please narrow it down

Hello/ I am planning my first trip to India and am reading your reports. What 3 sites were your favorites? I don't want to travel quite as much and want to spend 2 days in each top 3 picks in the area that you traveled. My top 3 from my 'research' so far are Varanasi/ Khajuraho/ Jaipur. I am considering skipping the Taj Mahal because the city Agra does not get good reviews. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

Hi Klej

my 3 top pick will be

Udaipur

Jaipur

Varanasi

if you have never seen Taj before than please see taj mahal also

Edited: 08 November 2011, 18:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

I agree with Udaipur Magic..... if u are visiting India for the first time.....The Taj Mahal is definitely a 'must do' ......

i did my first trip to India and i loved Agra......

Varanasi is also an amazing city..... and I also really liked Jaipur.... so much so that i am planning my next trip to India next year and i think Agra, Varanasi and Jaipur will for sure feature on that itinerary.....

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
376 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

Hey

I have been going to Agra since I was born(my mom is from there) and I still havnt gotten used to that place....it is definitely not the best of cities in India, BUT the Taj is a different story all together. It is not just a must-see in India, it is a must-see any where in the world (and I can say out of experience as I have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit in India and abroad). Think of it as going to the Taj and not Agra and you will not regret it.

Suggested place in my opinion would be Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Udaipur. End in Udaipur with a leisurely stay near Lake Pichola. I call it the Goa of the north for its slow place and laid back atmosphere and of course lots of water thanks to the lakes.

Hope this helps

Udit

about.me/udithooda

Jaipur
Level Contributor
692 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

My top 3 picks:

Udaipur- RAJASTHAN, Kumarakom-KERALA & Delhi.

My father was born and brought-up in varanasi and i have been to the city a lot. Its not for me!!! Its dirty and dingy, full of animals, beggars and what not...this isnt really the India I live in and love. Infact, apart from the food and shopping everything else makes me feel really sad about the disparity and poverty that prevails...I wont really recommend varanasi, But that's me!

Agra again, My God: there are no traffic rules, its soooo crowded, so polluted and really makes me feel is this the India that is making it BIG all over? Taj is no doubt magnificent but at the price of all the dirt, pollution etc...you have to make your decision!

I Live in Jaipur and I love this city but recently owing to the metro constructions etc a lot of parts are dug up and a lot of tourists are complaining. So If you have just a few days and this is your first trip I feel go for Udaipur, Delhi and Kumarakom!!!

Edited: 09 November 2011, 06:24
Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

Definitely do not miss the Taj in Agra you would regret not seeing this magnificent work of art.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

It all depends on what interests you. I'll try to break it down.

Delhi - National capital, Metropolitan city, Great Indian food.

Agra - May not be the best city but the Taj Mahal makes it worth your while

Udaipur - Wouldn't feature on my list of top 3 but has a lot of culture. The tourist attractions in Udaipur (City palace etc) are not the greatest. The palace in Mysore on the other hand is a spectacle.

Kerala (Allappuzha / Kumarakom) - Renowned for its backwaters. Picturesque, serene, beaches.

Goa - Beaches, night life, laid-back, old goa is a UNESCO world heritage site

Varanasi - religious destination, culture and tradition, in hindu mythology, a dip in the Ganges is believed to erase all your past sins

Suggest going to Goa and then to Varanasi for a dip in the ganges :)

Cheers

Vivek

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

Top three picks-Khajuraho???? Definately not for me......

When coming to India , u gotta include Delhi, may be for 1-2 days only.

I shall then go to see Taj Mahal, just the monument, coz Agra has nothing else to offer.

Agra to Jaipur, witness the grandeur of forts & palaces of Rajput era.Also, there are good shopping places & cultural events in Jaipur.

From Jaipur to Goa, atleast for 3-4 days.This is the best place to enjoy & unwind after the hustle bustle of North India.

If you r interested in seeing a religious/holy kindaa place, go to Rishikesh instead of Varanasi. I think Varanasi is just over-hyped, its crowded & dingy with thugs ready to loot you in name of religion. Last year, I met a couple from Spain,they had Varanasi in their itinerary. I suggested Rishikesh to them instead, they were very glad with the experience.The prayer on bank of Ganges in evening is divine..

Moreover, its easily reachable from New Delhi.

8. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2011, 13:05
9. Re: "overall' Please narrow it down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2012, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Udaipur
Recent Conversations