We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Hello! Around a week ago I posted on here questioning whether it was a good idea to go ahead with my trip to Kerala. Through the information gained on my thread, and others, I decided to go through with my trip to the south (which began on the 8th of September).

Prior to this, whilst in the north, I asked many locals for their opinion on coming here - I received a spectrum of answers. Some saying it was a very bad idea, others telling me it would be fine in unaffected areas.

One thing I couldn't help but think was many Tripadvisor posts (some from Kerala tourist businesses) had a bias - they want tourists to come to help economic growth.

Therefore I am posting here as a western tourist in the area. I am currently in Fort Kochi which is bustling with many Indian tourists and a few westerners - appearing untouched by the monsoon. Today I leave for Kollam, then to Varkala and finally finishing in Thiruvanathapuram.

I've decided to keep to the coast where the monsoon caused the least damage. If people would like I will update this post in each area providing information which I would have found valuable when deciding if I should come.

Luke.

31 replies to this topic
Malmö
Level Contributor
8 posts
122 reviews
1. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Luke! Thank you! Good to here it is ok in Fort Kochi.

Are you going to backwaters south of Kochi at all?

It’s great to get information from a tourist. I found it a bit hard to trust the travel agents since they have economic interests. We are going in December.

Macerata, Italy
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Thank you for your effort to help foreign tourists decide whether to visit or not Kerala.

Any information on the areas you visit will help.

Please update.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

I'll be visiting the backwaters at Kollam as Alleppey was effected by the floods. It may be fine now, but I won't be able to provide solid information on that. However I will be passing through Alleppey so maybe I can provide a little information

Bavaria, Germany
Level Contributor
768 posts
260 reviews
4. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

hi Trivandrum city was not affected. parts of kochi was flooded. Since you have experienced that kochi is safe, you will find Trivandrum in a similar conditon. However do update. you can even visit backwaters at poovar, trivandrum

Kolkata (Calcutta...
6 posts
5. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Thank you for the current update. Please keep posting about the current situation in different parts of kerala as and when you visit the place. We have planned visit in mid October, hopefully by that time Munnar, thakkady, Allepey will be ok to visit.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
31 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Please keep posting your experience. It is useful. I plan to visit early December but need to book soon.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
6 posts
7. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Thank you for the current update. Please keep posting about the current situation in different parts of kerala as and when you visit the place. We have planned visit in mid October, hopefully by that time Munnar, thakkady, Allepey will be ok to visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
549 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Thank you! If you find out more specifics about Alleppey and the backwaters, I'd also appreciate it.

The positive spin by many well-meaning posters who are part of the tourist industry is not helpful at all. I want to know more about what areas were damaged and about the reality of the health risks. What about the smaller homestays?

Many thanks!

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

Update!

On the 10th of September I travelled down from Fort Kochi, through Alleppey and into Kollam. The drive was uneventful and the road is in good condition. Unfortunately I only passed through the main part of Alleppey but from what I saw everything looked fine! I regret not stopping here and possibly taking a boat down to Kollam.

Kollam is fine and tomorrow I'm heading to Munroe island where I'll be taking a canoe around the back waters, house boats are also available - I'm using Southern Backwaters company.

So far so good... Nothing to suggest people should be cancelling their trips. Obviously I can't comment on other locations such as Munnar, however the weather has been perfect since arriving - blue skys at 32 degrees, so I imagine these places are recovering.

I altered my trip to 'play it safe', staying in nice resorts and keeping to the coast... It looks like I could have been more adventurous.

For people thanking me - you're most welcome... I know what position you're in as I was in it a week ago!

I'll update after backwaters when I arrive at Varkala beach.

Luke.

England
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.

This is so helpful and reassuring! Thanks Luke.

We’re travelling in 6 weeks time, this certainly puts my mind at rest. Look forward to hearing about the rest of the trip.

Reply to: I'm from the UK and I'm in Kerala.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted