We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

Hello all you helpful people out there. I am going with my sister to stay at the Santana in Candolim in March for 2 weeks. Been to loads of places but this is 1st trip to India. We are middle aged but not dull - used to be punks and 1980s London clubbers. No longer into clubs and never got the rave scene but love to shop, laze on beach, eat nice food, few drinks, people watch etc. Would be very pleased if anyone out there would be kind enough to offer some nice advice for our 1st trip. We like silver jewellery with nice gems but can't run to fine jewellery. Also any tips on who can make nice handbags, copy clothes or jewellery for us. Thanks in advance dears....

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

well friend you will find it al in candolim every thing you mentioned

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

I can tell you that you've picked a nice hotel for your first visit in the Santana.

Sorry can't help you with your shopping list, im to busy doing nothing when im their !.

But your other requirements, to laze on the beach, food, drink and people watching will be well served in Goa.

Enjoy your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

If you want real silver jewellery buy it from the Tibetan stalls you come across. There are some in Candolim that I'd recommend.

There is one street from the main road that leads to the beach (John's Boat Tours and the massive sports bar (I think it's called J29) are on the same street). On this street are a few Tibetan shops side by side.

I always go to the same one because I trust the woman who owns it and have been buying from her since 2001. She has the first stall (if my memory serves me right). She is honest and won't cheat you on the price. I used to have her card but am not sure where it is now but I think it's called something like Dukkan Arts or something similar. I've recommended her on here before so I'll see if I can find my post.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

You should fit in really well with most of us old dossers in Goa and at the Santana you will even have your own oldest punk and hippy in Goa to warble at you should you want to eat at the hotel on a friday night but don't panic the escape committee are arranging passes for compulsive shoppers, the cronic deaf ( pardon) or anyone even older than bluesmania ( Tom ) but only if they agree to Jambalaya on a Sunday evening when a lot of people from the TA forum turn up .

Just give it 24 hours to settle in and you will love Goa but Tom might take a little bit longer, pardon

London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

I found the previous thread. Deccan arts comes recommended by others too: tripadvisor.co.uk/…15138425. I think she may well be the middle stall but either way I'd recommend her.

In terms of tailors I went to one that has been recommended on here too. It is in Candolim near the elephant shop and Chinese restaurant. I got them to copy a dress for me and it wasn't quite right but they kept on at it until it was right. I'll see if I can find the name of that too.

Also, in terms of leather bags you should go to the leather shop near Snips. The woman who runs it is, by far, the cheapest around and the bags are good copies. She will also make things to order (she made my other half a leather holdall without any names/logos (he doesn't like them) and the quality was excellent. Again, this was a recommendation on here that I followed up.

This forum does have some great recommendations but you might have to shift through a little to get what you want. Good luck and have a great holiday.

hereford
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

cYou will have a great time. Coming out of the hotel take a left you are just a few steps away from Calamari shack - a lovely way to spend a few hours watching the world go by - food is great there too.

Would recommend buying a bag from the guy who sells on the beach there. His prices are very reasonable and the bags are good quality. My Radley is still as new almost 12 months on.

As someone else has said previously, the Tibetan shops have some great silver jewellery, but have a look what the girls sell on the beach - they have a great collection of cheap and cheerful stuff.

Have a great holiday

Cx

London
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

we've just got back (stayed next to santana at the o-resort) and probably fit your description of middle aged but not dull. when i get back to work i'll probably do a write up (not doing it on my time), but you've got a great location where you are as it's slightly outside the madness of the centre of candolim but still very easy to walk to or 100RP for a taxi.

right outside the front of the hotel to the right are several clothes makers - my wife went to the one just with 6 guys sitting at sewing machines and had her dress shortened, hemmed and lining sorted for 80RP!. Not having done much more than that i couldn't really recommend for total clothe copying though.

your area of the beach is perfect for lazing about, much quieter than the end of beach road (about 500 yards walk north along the beach), and still has a couple of great shacks around; calimari at the end of your hotel which we used a few times (and in the evening, although they did "offcially" shut quite early in the evening at 10:30), although we ended up frequenting the palm and sands shack about 100 yards further south more often as it had a really good position overlooking the beach and sea and was much quieter (and cheaper) and we just liked it better in the end.

loads of restaurants very near you for the evening that it's really tempting not to bother walking into candolim ... stonehouse, kalinger, bomras, casa seashell are all a stones throw, floyds hut a little further - but well worth making the walk and trying everywhere to discover your own favourites.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 09:52
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

Thank-you all for your tips and advice! I can't wait to get there!

Edited: 02 January 2012, 12:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

Roxysmum is right that the girls on the beach sell cheap and cheerful stuff but if it's real silver you're after that isn't what they sell (although they might tell you it is).

If it's a bit of costume jewellery that you're after then Roxysmum gives a good suggestion of buying on the beach. If you see anything on the beach that you like I would ask around for a rough idea of prices before you start bartering with anyone for anything. It gives you a good idea of what you should spend on things.

Sudbury, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Candolim first timers - middle aged but not dull!!

As far as handbags are concerned, no need to worry. Every 10th shop seems to be a bag shop.

Go window shopping every day, you sound like you would enjoy that just for the fun of it. My OH says the hunt is as much fun as the purchase.

From this you will get a feel for the quality etc. and you can decide what you like, and the price you wan't to pay for it.

Always bargain a little during these excursions, (you never pay the advertised price) but don't be too harsh. Never buy first time though, as seeing you walk away, they will remember, so if you return later they will remember losing that sale, and that you are not a complete pushover.

Finally, 3 or 4 days before you leave,you will know exactly what you want, where to get it, and how much for. Stroll in, make your pitch, and win the prize......

You are going to love Goa :-)

Get answers to your questions about Candolim