We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo by bus...pre book?

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cairo by bus...pre book?

I know the advise for alot of trips is to not pre book, to shop around once you arrive but just wondering if the same applies to the Cairo trip? was thinking of booking with Sharm club...and does anyone know if they have an office in Sharm/Naama, thanks!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

sharm club has a office near il mercato in habada. phone number is on the website,if you ring them they will meet you at your hotel to arrange trip,6 of us went and they only charged for 5.You might save a couple of pounds with other tour operaters but its not worth it.I have been on trip to cairo twice, once with sharm and other time with farah tours. SHARM CLUB are miles better,Their guide stays with you all the time at the pyramids and stops you getting hassle from the local traders unlike farah tours who dump you at the pyramids on your own and you get constant hassle.

Bus takes about 6 hours each way,but its worth it to see the pyramids.

Our guide in cairo was called sheriff,he was great, kept you informed of everything you needed to know and made it a fun day.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 11:50
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

we pre-booked with sharm club for the pyramids on our first visit to Egypt, and they were fantastic. On our second visit, we booked in resort for Jerusalem, and it was a disaster! there were only six English speakers on the coach and the rest were Russian!!! the excuses we were given were 1) not many English people take this trip, and 2) We booked at the last minute. ( A week before??) There are pro`s and con`s to pre-booking. for instance you may not feel at your best on the day, etc. But, if you know you have trips looming, you will probably be less likely to over indulge and so on.it really is personal choice. enjoy, what ever you decide!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

P.S. the disaster was`nt with sharm club!!

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

Cheers for the replies...I think I may leave it to book once I'm there, there are a couple of other trips I'm interested in, especially Ras Mohammed by land, might be worth me trying to haggle a bit possibly! Think I'm definately going to book with Sharm Club thou. On Sharm Clubs website there is a note on the Jerusalem trip warning that the coach would also Include the Ruskie's, no mention of it on the Cairo trip thou, don't get me wrong I'm not expecting/wanting to only mix with British but don't want to be swamped by them!!

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

It's best to book when there, there's plenty of choice and haggle, especially as you are booking a few trips. It's best to meet the people of the company face to face and ask relevant questions. Will there be mainly English speakers on board, mainly because most of the commentry will be in another language if not. Is it a coach and not a mini bus, will there be a/c and reclining seats. Does the guide speak good English etc.

Regards

barbarah

croydon
Level Contributor
616 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

I dont know how you can make sure you go on a coach with only or some english speaking people, as i ask if my trip to jerusalem would be in english and was assured it would be.When i got on the coach everyone was russian apart from me and one italian couple who didnt speak english or russian.At the israeli border i had no end of hassle,questioned why i was on this trip as there were no other brits on it.I was questioned by security,immigration and customs for over an hour in different offices,I was bricking it.So i would say go with one of the companies recommended by other brits on here.

croydon
Level Contributor
616 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

Also another warning the guide on the bus in egypt ask me to give some money to the guide on the israel bus(I know it was stupid now but it was 3am and it was just a few notes)which i now know that it is illegal in israel to pass money on to a 3rd party.This money was confiscated from me and i was cautioned as it turned out the few notes was $1800.I dont know if this a one off or they do it regularly,but dont do it if your asked.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

Perhaps the money was why you were questioned so much, a very dodgy thing to do, it certainly wasn't because you were the only Brit!

The crossing into Israel from Egypt is notoriously slow and the questions (worse on the way out) are very delving and can take a long time, more of an interrogation.

I would want a guarantee that there were mainly English speakers on the trip or I wouldn;t book and if it wasn't the case I would want my money back. As it happens it doesn't bother me, but it does bother some, so for them that should be the first question.

Regards

barbarah

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

I did like the look of the Jerusalem trip but as I havn't seen the pyramids yet and the difference in cost of both trips decided to stick with Cairo, seems strange that Sharm Club mention travelling with Russians only on the Jerusalem trip thou, maybe they don't go to Cairo then!!! A good idea re the questions to ask, thanks.

croydon
Level Contributor
616 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairo by bus...pre book?

They wouldnt have known about the money.The guide on the bus just ask me to give the money to the other guide as i was getting ready to get off the bus.The security man said they pulled me in because i was the only british person on the bus and questioned me why that was .then they searched me and my bag.but didnt check the money i had on me.I then went to immigration and they pulled me in asking the same questions and let me go through.Then i went to customs and they pulled me in and searched me and my bag again but they checked how much money i had on me and asked about it i just told them the truth and thats when they cautioned me.After a lot of questions they let me through.All through the trip in israel i was worried about getting back but that went without a hitch.I did ask if there were other brits on the trip and they said there were.Until the border crossing i had no problem with travelling with none english speaking people.Lastly i know it was stupid taking the money through but the guide seemed so plausible i thought the money was for lunch and entry fees.If he asked me to take a box or parcel i would not have done so.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh