We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Market/Old sharm

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Old Market/Old sharm

Im going back to Sharm in just under two weeks for my 3rd visit, and STILL have not made it to the old market!! I am determined to go this time, but am I right in thinking its best to go in the evening? Also, what exactly is there? I know there are meant to be a few good restaurants, but is it the usual tourist shops/sheesha bars like in Naama Bay? Any tips/places to visit/avoid?

Thanks for any help,

Catherine x

uk
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

The old market is def worth a visit......It is really cheap in comparison to Naama bay. Its about five minutes from Il Mercato which is another place worth visiting. In the old town there are lots of shops, stalls etc and, really cheap places to eat and drink. Sometimes in the evenings they have live music and the atmosphere is really nice.

UK
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Yes, definitely go in the evening, there's a stage in the middle and also street entertainment. There is hassle but not too bad; I found the further in we got the less hassle there was. Prices ok, I even forgot to haggle once, the first price I was given was less than I'd worked out it should be!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Make sure you got El Masrien for food.....yummay!!! Enjoy the banter...it's not hassle, it's banter!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Thanks guys x

Edited: 16 September 2011, 10:40
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Hi,

There are photos & explanations about various areas of Sharm in the Tips thread, at the top of the forum & also under Top Q, in the one that says, "In What Part of Sharm Shall I stay?"

Na’ama Bay

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Old Market, Hadaba / Ras Um Sid area.

New complex, Soho Square, White Knight’s Bay, Sharm (near the Savoy hotel & airport)

Fellow poster nwbs’s slide show of the Ice Bar in Soho Square.

A few night time pics of Nabq (apologies for some not being great; hadn’t quite mastered all the camera settings!)

Regards

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Great topic :)

I'd like to visit the Old Sharm to, just wandering how much a Taxi would be from the Tiran Island Hotel which is close to Baron resort I think :)

BBilly

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Save money! Take your hotel's courtesy bus to Naama Bay and get on a council mini bus to Old Sharm - charge 1LE per person each way.

Regards

barbarah

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Nice one, thanks Barbarah can do that because I know they put the shuttle bus onto Naama :)

Thank you :)

BBilly

Essex
Level Contributor
504 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

this is one place we didnt get to visit last year so were determined to visit it when we go back in March, cant wait.

uk
Level Contributor
410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Market/Old sharm

Defintly go at night! Its busy so less hassle. I found the shopkeepers were nicer here than namma bay. Good prices as well, got two fake bags for £20. We got the organised thompson tour tho which was waste of time as we were lucky to get 1 and half hours, next time we will get a taxi and take our time

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh