We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

denmark
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

Greetings All.

My written English is not so good so bear with me.

There is a lot of talk about safety at Petra, but in my opinion Petra is not as safe as you might think.

This is the story about the horrible and shamefull treatment we recieved by the Jordanian guide Riyadh from AL Jawad tours and the beduins of Petra,on our daytrip from Sharm el Sheik, Egypt to Petra, Jordan with Al Jawad tour company on tuesday august 16.th 2011.

www.jawad.com.jo

When we arrived from Egypt to Aqqaba port in the morning we were not greeted by our English guide. He was 10 minuttes late.

We were told we were missing a bus and had to wait a short period at aqqaba castle where there would be a cafe and toilets.

This was not the case there were no access to water and no toilets were open.

All your guide from Al Jawad did was to say that he cant help us, is it not his job he said.

After an hour I managed to get the guard at Aqqaba to open a rather disgusting toilet.

Aqqaba castle is a fenced area and since we got no help and no information from our guide Riyadh we were infact kept prisoners for more than 3 hours.

Around 1300 Jordanian time we could finally leave and we driven to a restaurant, despite the fact everyone wanted to go to Petra.

We kept complaining but the guide did nothing.

We finally arrived at Petra at 1530, and the official closing time at Petra is 1700.

We wanted to see the monastery, but going up the stairs on horse back there were suddenly no tourists left, and our beduin guide got very nasty.

He sexually harrashed my girlfriend and were left alone when he fled with our horses.

We the fled down the mountain to the area with temples and restaurants and found ourselves alone.

There were no tourist police, none of the guides from the tour company, the toilest were locked, no access to water, the restaurants were closed, and no other tourists.

We were all alone with the beduins who chased us for more than a mile back to the Treasury were we finally could see other turist and the beduins disappeared.

During the chase of us we were on foot and the beduins rode very close to us and starred at us with evil eyes, yes evil eyes is the best description.

We then returned to the bus and complained again, but again there we no help

We are still in shock and anger after our trip to Jordan.

We have complained to Al Jawad tours and recieved no reply.

And also complained to the Jordan Embassy in Berlin.

This has also been posted in the Petra, jordan forum

Thanks.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

Hi there

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, it must have been horrendous and you are right to make peole aware of this company. I only use local companies for local trips. I have always recommended that for Jordan and Israel people should only use companies like Longwood Holidays,the one I use, if they weren't available, I would use Thomson.

The Petra trip I did was superb, couldn't fault it, the guide was Jordanian and very professional, with excellent English. I have had exactly the same experiences with the Israel trips.

Even with local operators these trips are expensive and I wouldn't expect this treatment. So I really would suggest if any members are going to do these trips to use the big UK operators, or the big operators from your country of origin, definitely not local ones.

Regards

barbarah

Dublin
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

what a horrible experience to endure. You should not have been left alone, it doesn't really matter that it was in Petra, your tour guide should have been with you. It looks like this tour was very poorly arranged and managed and by posting your experience here, others will be enlightened about the tour company you used.

PS, your English is great :))

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

Thanks for posting this.As i was thinking about this trip and may have had the horendous trip that you described.Wonder if A ljawad will post a reply.?

TA posts are read by a lot of peaple and from the experience you endured i think like myself many will be reluctant to book through this company unless they can issue a statement explaining why this trip was so aweful.

Sorry about my english,the OP's was so much better.

Dublin
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

Exactly Pete, seems like it all went downhill after getting on the bus.!!!!

I plan to do it next year so guess who I won't be using.

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

Hi

I'm surprised you haven't been told to 'man up'

Ray

6. Re: Our horrible daytrip from Sharm to Petra Jordan with AlJawad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 15:21
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh