We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
631 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of any sandy beaches good for swimming it appears that they are all quite rocky with coral etc, any info welcome

Thanks

Tonyb

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

The beaches i went to in naama were very sandy and seemed to stretch for miles.Yes there is coral in the sea,but you say for swimming.The coral does not effect swimming.Well certainly not where i have been.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

Thanks for info Zantepete, I suppose we visit some beaches in Naama Bay.

Cheers

Tonyb

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

Im sure you will not need to visit Naama exclusively for sandy beaches as im sure there are other great beaches around,though im not an authority on this and cannot say as where they are.Many far more experianced TA posters on this forum that im sure will give you far better info.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

Hi there

The beach at the Iberotel Palace at Old Sharm has a sandy beach with the sea suitable for swimming - no coral. I believe there is still a public beach near if you are not staying at this hotel

Regards

barbarah

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

All hotels in Nabq have wide sandy beaches, that will give you almost all new 5* AI hotels in Sharm. Shark's Bay is 50/50 - a 10 m sand strip once you descend the cliffs. Naama Bay and Maya Bay (old Sharm) are the beaches where sand has descended a lot over coral so coral is dead or half-dead there, though there is some if you go deeper. Naama is like a cattleyard so only go if you like it and if your hotel has a generous bit of it like Hilton Fayrouz for example, or Maritim or Novotel not bad either.

Sharm Maya is less crowded but water there feels the dirtiest in Sharm, at least to me. But you can "walk into water" both there and in Naama, no immediate "ridge" and depth.

In Nabq the water is obviously cleaner as it is out in the open (no closed bays) but you get 100 m or so very shallow water over coral reef, then a drop and deeper water, though it is not very deep drop there I think, certainly not 50 m drop like at Fanara beach in Hadaba (best snorkelling there).

Check "Nabq" hotels and browse beach photos there to get a feeling, though most Nabq hotels are listed under Sharm then easiest this way. And browse Hilton Fayrouz for Na'ama and Iberotel Palace for Old Market/Sharm Maya.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

Hi Neverminding,

Thanks for the info Fanara sounds good for beach and to snorkel

Cheers and a Happy Eid-al Fitr with your family

Tonyb

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

OK, just to avoid misunderstanding - you asked for a sandy beach, but Fanara is actually the cliffiest beach in Sharm, a narrow strip of beach down in a pocket of 20 m cliffs around you and after that all coral, where you cannot walk at all but have to swim over it or use the pontoons, and then you immediately swim over what is essentially a blue abyss... Also, because it is so popular, it is VERY crowded, unless you stay at Reef Oasis there or Iberotel Fanara Club that have somewhat generous own bits. Browse these for a feeling.

It is still the best snorkeling, just that - sure you got it right? 8-)

Thanks for the wishes, my immediates here are actually Coptic, but we do get to enjoy the generous 4 day holiday along with others! I personally enjoy a lot that our neighbours have that festive time 8-D.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 15:00
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

Thanks for the info but in any case I wish all Egyptians my best wishes for the future.

Thanks for info

Tonyb

9. Re: Sandy beaches in or around Sharm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 15:23
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh