We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

morecambe
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

Can me daughter take any medication if she gets a tummy bug in Egypt?

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
386 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

my daughter was 7 first time in egypt and took antinal suspension

lincs
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

We have just returned and bought antinal suspension for our children, a two year old can take this. Hope you won't need it tho!!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

We use an Egyptian OTC medicine Diakan-M, available from usual well-stocked pharmacies in Sharm. It is basically a combination of a kind of clay and a light antibiotic (kanamycin) and effectively absorbs and neutralises most things that are unwanted in the tummy :). Looks like pink milk shake and tastes.. perhaps raspberry? Easy to administer ;-).

The usual kids quantity 5 ml or a teaspoon contains:

100 mg Kanamycin (against E-coli, shigella, salmonella and many other staphylococci)

3 mg Adiphenine hydrochloride (antispasmodic)

500 mg Kaolin light (absorbs, and helps in formation of stools)

Once or twice has usually sufficed, although mine came over to Egypt at around three weeks so they've had a long acclimatisation already :-). Still, in July for example we were unable to find it in our township because supposedly everyone was grabbing it up for the hot season when even local tummies suffer more often. See - even Egyptians are not totally free of the "curse" :-)

Sharm is otherwise very ready to deal w all kids, should the hotel's GP feel he is underqualified then good pediatricians are available in several clinics. Just in way of assertion :-).

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,981 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

Please, this information should come from your Doctor, not anyone else. Speak to him/her and take with you whatever they prescribe. By all means give him/her the information you have just been given in the other posts and find out whether it is suitable for your 2 year old.

Regards

barbarah

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
497 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

As stated in 'Egyptian OTC medicine Diakan-M' referred to in post #3 above, it contains Kanamycin and doing some basic research indicates it should be used with extreme caution, and under medical supervision.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

Well, we got it from our pediatrician, but I did list the ingredients exactly so those who are interested can check with own authorities too ;-).

Any medicines should be used with caution, esp. those containing antibiotics, but certainly in medicines aimed at small kids the quantities are suitably reduced. Diakan is prescribed to "infants and children", infants being those under 2 yrs, you calculate correct dose by body weight. And, as indicated above, the main ingredient that actually does the work is kaoline, that is natural clay expressed more finely :-).

I am an intelligent person and I research extensively before I give anything to my kids, or to myself. Did you know for example what kind of health "bombs" in a good sense are Egyptian foods like mango, fuul (i.e. fava beans) and molokhia? Googele under nutrition, and do come and consume freely :-D. Mango and molokhia btw are also recommended for toddlers as first food after breast-feeding. Just in way of example that I know what I write ;-).

7. Re: What can you give a 2 year old if they get a tummy bug?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 11:16