We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wearing jewelery

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
wearing jewelery

just wondered if any ladies tended to wear their engagement/eternity rings or is it best to leave them at home. We plan to visit Luxor and possibly the stargazzing/bedouin trip, apart from that will most likely just stay around hotel. Appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wearing jewelery

Have been there 3 times and never had a problem wearing my good jewelry out, always felt safe there even walking around Naama bay in the early hours.

Did the Stargazing/Bedouin night and it was fab, well worth the money.

Another great trip is the Quads....a great laugh.

Enjoy

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wearing jewelery

Thanks for that prompt reply, much appreciated

Somerset
Level Contributor
52 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wearing jewelery

I have heard of people having jewlery stolen in hotels (from the room when you are out not muggings) but no problem around town etc, guess you just have to watch if someone wants to shake your hand, thats when thieves like to take them but never heard of this in Egypt.

Sure you will be fine ;)

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wearing jewelery

Hi there

Don't take expensive jewellery even if you decide not to take them off. I fainted while on a trip to St Catherines and the Mount Sinai climb. My gold bracelet was taken off me by some Bedouins (they climb up the mountain asking people do they need help) thank goodness my watch was on my arm underneath me!!! I did report it to the police at St Catherine's Village which resulted in a four and a half hour ordeal (that's another story and not pleasant), something I would never do again.

Thank goodness for the great guides of the tour company who were a great help to me, but helpless where the police are concerned. So my advice is don't take any, just take cheap dress jewellery

Regards

barbarah

Swansea
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wearing jewelery

I would totally agree with post 4, better to be safe than sorry. I have been to Egypt 10 times now & never had anything stolen, but maybe that is because I am careful & only take dress jewellery..

Bridge

Dublin
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wearing jewelery

Jeez Barbara, that was a bit of a low thing to do, especially considering the trip you were on. What an absolutely horrible thing to do. Sounds like the actual reporting of the incident was just as traumatic as realising your bracelet had been taken.

I don't have anything worth nicking so no real issue for me!!

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wearing jewelery

I always leave anything of value (literal or setimental safe at home) and take cheap stuff with me. I had my bag taken from a locked coach in paris when I was 14 and it's made me cautious when travelling anywhere.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wearing jewelery

Yes, bubs, I would never report anything to the police in Egypt again. It was a grotty fly ridden staion, there were seven police officers in the room with me and when I got stroppy they called the Captain! They took my passport and copied it (you have to have it with you when you visit St Catherines) I thought they were going to deport me or not let me back into the country!!!

At one point I did have them laughing when I pulled out a small spray can of fly killer. They wouldn't let me leave the station and I was in dreadful pain, I'd badly hurt my ribs. It was only after calling someone on my mobile and them hearing me talking about the British Consulate that the Captain said he would write a report, which I duly signed just to get out of there. To this day I don't know what the report said, it was in Arabic.

I suppose I was taking a chance going back to Sharm, I may not have been allowed back in! I can laugh about it now, but it was one of the most horrendous experiences I have ever had, I wasafter all, a lone woman traveller.......

Dublin
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wearing jewelery

That's shocking Barbara, can't believe you were treated like that. Given that the area is entirely dependent on tourism, wouldn't you think they'd be falling over themselves to look proactive (even if they realised there was no chance of getting your bracelet back).

Fair play to your resilience for returning. I think being injured and subjected to such a terrifying ordeal would deter quite a few.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wearing jewelery

The problem being, the police are afraid of the Bedouin, they are very strong in the area, they run St Catherines and the Village, so I found out later!

Edited: 12 August 2011, 17:12
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh