We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pyramids and current dangers

bradford
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pyramids and current dangers

Is it still too dangerous to go beyond your hotel? I was hoping to visit the pyramids and that was my intention when i booked my holiday last year but after all the trouble i am concerned about whether it will be safe enough to venture into those areas - i am flying out on 18th august and staying in nabq bay.,

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

It's safe to go out everywhere ( not been to Nabq so can't comment on there specifically) and i would be personally saddened if nobody left the hotel to explore.

In fact I would be amazed if that

happened because Egypts sensational and they need tourism and for people to actually spend money in the local economy and not within the confines of a hotel or a resort.

Nobody can guarantee that nothing will happen but if you are sensible and observe the usual courtesies then there's no reason why you shouldn't have a fabulous time.

Egypt is quiet right now which means the sites are almost tourist free. When might you get the opportunity to have the sites to yourself again without being mown down by yet another tour group ?.

Go and enjoy yourself!

UK
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

Try reading some of the other threads on here, even those going back to Jan/Feb. We're off to Nabq Bay on 19 Aug and certainly not planning on staying in the hotel! We've booked a trip to Cairo and the Pyramids and unless someone official (ie the FCO not the media) tells us it's not safe, we're going!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

H,

It never was that everyone was confined to hotels! There was never any curfew in Sharm; it's an hour's flight to Cairo & 7 hours by road. Yes, there have been a few demos there but they have been small & haven't involved tourists.

The FO website is the one to watch & near the top of the page, it says, Travel Alert....no restrictions.....but if you click it, it will take you thru to the FO site for Egypt.

Have been twice this year, plus last Dec; it's quiet, but it's fine.

I was there 3-10 Feb, when Mubarak stepped down on the 11th & we were out & about every eve as normal, just as we were in May.

Go & enjoy :-)

Regards

bradford
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

Thanks everyone i feel slightly better about it now - might wait till i get there to book any excursions though and see how we feel but i really didn't want to spend the entire two weeks confined to my hotel glad i posted now (trip advisor virgin!!)

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

Glad to help.

Booking excursions once in resort is a sensible idea as you can then know how you feel and see what you fancy doing. If you shop around and use local agents you will certainly find them cheaper than prebooked in the UK.

I am sure you will have a thoroughly enjoyable time

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,280 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

Pyramids and environs were no problem in June, but there have been some Fridays when the protests have been bigger and a little "hotter", so don't go Friday or Saturday; keep your eyes on Tripadvisor posts for "Cairo" rather than Sharm to know if protests are heating up; but be prepared to be hassled by the touts regardless. No eye contact and use "la, shukran" (no thanks) or a very loud definite "NO" if things start getting out of hand. They are pretty good about seguing into your photo sessions and taking over your camera then wanting money, so be strong.

Lots of people have reported no problems at Sharm. Maybe if you have concerns about Cairo, consider going to Luxor instead.

Leeds, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

I haveliterally just returned from 2 weeks at the Nabq resort and it's perfectly fine and there are no signs of trouble. We went on several trips during our holiday and ventured out on our own on many occasions without any problems.

We also took a day trip to Cairo by plane on 11th July, and again, it was perfectly ok and the trip was absolutely fantastic. Recent troubles should not prevent you from taking the trip, and if you need any assurance about your safety, you will have a plain clothed armed guard with you all day anyway.

As per an earlier post, the resort is quieter than usual, so take advantage of it whilst you can as the Egyptians are friendly and it's great to take time out to learn about their culture and traditions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

dont be fearful in egypt '' fear thompsons flights, no food no entertainment no leg room.no care ' how worse can these flying dustcarts get.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

I've been here two weeks and leave today. Just spent the night camping in the desert, really the middle of nowhere, with absolutely no fear of any trouble. The only bother were the little foxes rummaging around in the dirty dishes we'd left outside. Got back to Cairo yesterday, went out to eat by myself last night, just came back from a coffee shop this morning. I plan to stroll around the neighborhood alone for a few hours as well.

OP, go to the pyramids, have a wonderful time, enjoy your stay in Cairo and don't be afraid.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 08:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pyramids and current dangers

sounds wonderful. are you flying thompsons. and thanks for your enlightening comments regards

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh