We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping????/ currency????

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tipping????/ currency????

This is my first time to egypt and i'm extremely confused about what to exchange my money into :-\

There are two of us going for one week we have arranged 2trips which will cost us £80.00 altogether we were considering taking £200 leaving us 120 free for any extras but i really dnt know what to change this into????

I want to change my money this weekend so would be thankful for any help

SKELMERSDALE
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping????/ currency????

hi there the rate of exchange is pretty good best place to change your money is when you get to egypt the staff will take £1 coins but its not easy for them to get it changed back hope this helps

Egypt
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Just bring 20 GBP worth of Egyptian pounds with you (to get you by at first)

then Change the rest in Sharm and change it into Egyptian pounds

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Hi there

Change your money in Sharm you will get approx 10% more for your money. You don't need to change any money before you go, there is a bank at the airport and the exchange rates throughout Sharm are similar and no commision to pay. Tip in LEs not pound coins. Please read the Tips at the top of the messages and the questions in blue down the right hand side of the page. Most of what you need to know is there

Regards

barbarah

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Hi i've read the tips but this topic just baffles me so uses to going on hols where one currency is used. Someone told me everything is priced up in $ & € so is this not confusing if you take EP to know your payibg the right price

:-s

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping????/ currency????

I'd second what barbarah has said.

You are going to visit Egypt and it has it's own legal and recognised currency - the Egyptian Pound/LE.

It is far better to change your money once you get there. Even for two of you (especially if you are going AI) only change £50-£100 to start with and then see what your spending pattern is. You can always change more later.

The only place where $ may be an advantage is in the DF as goods are marked in $'s.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Hi there

This tipping guide from the Luxor forum might help you

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21328-Genera…

I would say, as others have already said, please do not take Pound Coins (or Euros) etc. for tipping. The local people CANNOT change these into their own currency (much the same as us here in the UK cannot change foreign coins into Sterling). It just results in the locals hassling tourists to change the coins for them, and this can be a real source of annoyance.

This pictorial guide might also help you

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-c151483/Lux…

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Things are only marked in dollars at the duty free, so if you have dollars left from another holiday use them there. Shop keepers will accept dollars, Euros and sterling, but you won't get a good rate of exchange so will be paying over the odds and that's why they will accept them! Pay in LEs. It's approx 9.40 LEs to the pound so if you say a pound is worth 10LEs it makes it easier and you won't be far out in working out prices. Don't forget to haggle!

Regards

barbarah

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
825 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Hi,

Can I ask where the bank is at the airport. I think I seem to miss it everytime as I head straight away from the visa queue since it's not needed and so never seem to see it. If I miss one before security is there one after that as I have booked a taxi and will need some money for that. I normally change my money at the hotel so I'm assuming the rate will be around the same?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Hi, we get into Egypt pretty late what time does the bank in the airport close??

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping????/ currency????

Hi, we get into Egypt pretty late what time does the bank in the airport close??

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh