We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers,need a little info/help!

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
First timers,need a little info/help!

Hello,first timers going to Egypt in mid april for 2 weeks.

We're fairly young(19 & 22).

Not really sure what to expect as only ever really done spain and turkey.So if someone could help me out with a few questions i would greatly appreciate it!!!

1- When we arrive into Sharm Airport,where do i go to get a visa?is it straight forward?How long does it take?And cost and best way to pay?

2- Will my pre-paid mastercard moneycard work in ATM's and are there plenty about?

3- Best trips to do?any comments on quad biking?waterparks?etc.

4- We're staying at the Dreams Beach in um el sid,anything around that area we can have a walk to etc?

5- Anyone now of any good restaurants around um el sid or in Naama Bay?

6- Are the 'busier' bars open okay at the moment?e.g. Little Buddha,Pacha,Hard Rock etc?

7- What will the weather be like approx?will the sea/pools be cold?will i need a cardy at night?

8- Whats currency should i tip in? £'s,Euro's,$'s or LE's?

9- Can i take a fag lighter onboard a Thomas Cook aircraft as hand luggage,or does it need to go in my case?

10- Any additional info i should know???

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,981 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers,need a little info/help!

Hi there

Read the Tips at the top of the messages and the questions in blue down the right hand side your questions will be answered there and lots more info that will be useful to you

Regards

barbarah

Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers,need a little info/help!

you only need a visa if you are travelling outisde the Sharm area, on trips etc;

ATMs are plentiful, just be careful on a Friday when it's their national day of rest as we found some were empty

Have only done the snorkelling trips but everyone we spoke to who had done the quad biking thoroughly enjoyed it

Um El Sid is where the Colosseum is, there are many bars and restaurants and shops in that area, not sure where your hotel is, but I stayed at the St George 2 years ago and there were some things within walking distance such as Starbucks, McDonalds, the Colloseum etc...but taxis are very cheap

Most bars are open and are starting to get busier again, We were there last week (24th Feb to 10 March) and it is chilly in the evenings but keep checking the forums for up to date weather; 2 years ago we were there in April and it was much warmer; some pools are heated but the sea is quite warm

Take Sterling and change it there, or use your debit card in ATMs, exchange rate is better out there...we took US Dollars for tipping

We flew with Thomsons and had no trouble with lighters

Have a great time!

Edited: 13 March 2011, 08:19
3. Re: First timers,need a little info/help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 01:16