We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sickness tablets

UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
sickness tablets

can anyone tell me if drotazide combats stomach upsets in the same way as antinal or is drotazide just to ease stomach cramps. We took antinal last time in el gouna which really warded off the dreaded runs. We asked some friends of ours to bring some back for us ona recent visit but they brought back drotazide instead which we already have. We are going to the carribean and thought these might be better to take than immodium which can be pretty useless in such countries.

Surrey
Level Contributor
976 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sickness tablets

Hi

We have been given Drotazide instead of Antinal the last few times we have been to El Gouna. We always buy a suppl when we get there 'just in case'! I have never had any problems myself but it certainly sorted hubby out very quickly when he needed it!!

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
861 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sickness tablets

Hi

Both Antinal and Drotazide contain the antibiotic Nifuroxazide .

Drotazide also contains Drotaverine Hcl which is an antispasmodic to stop the cramping so is the better option IMHO.

Usually Motilium is also given which eases Nausea.

Regards David

Pinner
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sickness tablets

Hi,

I usually take imodium with me when abroad. I haven't heard of the tablets you refer to so are these available in the UK ? I need to make sure I don't have any major tummy problems as I have had a serious illness and am in the recovery stage after 14 months so am not going to take any chances with the big multi coloured telephone in El Gouna.

Many thanks

Solihull
Level Contributor
187 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sickness tablets

Chemists are excellent and cheap in EG (unlike Hurghada); food is even better so don't worry too much. Have a great holiday.

S60

Surrey
Level Contributor
976 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sickness tablets

Immodium doesn't seem to be so effective in El Gouna, it really is worth going to the pharmacy when you arrive, there's one downtown and one in the marina, and getting a supply of Antinal or Drotazide just in case. They cost about 50 pence a box.

Having said that, in my many visits to El Gouna I have never had a problem with tummy upsets. Make sure you have a small bottle of anti-bacterial hand gel with you and use every time you have handled the money - I'm convinced this is the main cause of tummy problems in El Gouna - not the food.

england
Level Contributor
485 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sickness tablets

not heard of drotazide tho we always use antinal and like a couple of the others we bring it home with us as it outperforms any of the ones u can get here in the UK (also very cheap)

i do think some people suffer due to the heat, drinking alcohol and not drinking enough water etc

ishaireness i nearly always get something but i have tum issues anyways and antinal always sorts me out BUT make sure u take it as soon as u feel any flutter in your tum dont wait til u are perched on the toilet!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sickness tablets

I agree go to pharmacy upon arrival. We always like to explore when we arrive at a resort so picked ours up from downtown. Yes they were 50p each packet. we got a few packets of antinal and drotazide. We only used the antinal intermittently when we had a vague feeling we had a dicky tummy and this kept everything at bay. We also took tiny bottles (handbag size) of antibacterial handwash and took this everywhere when eating or more importantly handling money. I am also convinced the money (not food) is the problem - the notes are WELL used and filthy so yes i think this is the culprit. Very rarely do you handle fresh notes like we have here.

Thankyou for your replies regarding the drotazide. Im now feeling better that we have a supply of this to take with us especially if it is better than antinal (which i was very impressed with) Regarding any new comers to El Gouna it is a VERY clean resort both downtown and Marina and the food and restaurants are wonderful. We ate lots of salads at our hotel and ate everything we fancied - no problems at all- Three Corners Rihanna. We also ate out .

Regarding getting antinal in the UK - i dont think you can - we tried on line but no its not available which is why we asked our friend to bring us some back.

wales
Level Contributor
555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sickness tablets

Hi Ishairiness

To err on the side of caution, I would strongly suggest that you speak to your doctor and get his/her advice on what to take with you, as you say you have been seriously unwell for a long time, and if you are still taking medication, Antinal is quite a strong anti-biotic, and as such it could react to or weaken the medication you may already be taking.

I agree with other posters that El Gouna is a very clean place, and keeping some antibac wipes or gel with me wherever I went, to use before eating and after handling money, staved off any attacks of the heeeby geeebies for us.

hth

S S W

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sickness tablets

Try this thread as it will prevent you from having to use sickness pills all the best

Paddy

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297548-i9600-k447…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sickness tablets

.......adding to Paddy's advice, here is some more from the Top Q down the right side of the Sharm forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297555-c141622/Sha…

Antinal is not licensed in the UK for people as it's considered an old-fashioned drug. It's used for animals here.

I agree about discussing things with your own gp 1st; we have & he is ok about us having Antinal or Drotsiwotsit (can't spell it without looking at the packet!) if necessary & he has also used Antinal when in Egypt.

Streptoquin is sometimes offered & the "big guns" is Conaz. All are very reasonably priced (or should be!). a 24 pack of Antinal or Drotsiwotsit is currently still 10LE, a strip of 10 Streptoquin is 3LE.

Regards

Get answers to your questions about El Gouna
Recent Conversations