We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving Galapagos

Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving Galapagos

My wife and I recently took a cruise in the Galapagos. Had a great time. Incredible trip. We stayed in Puerto Aroya for two days and the end of the trip. We went Scuba Diving with Macarron's Scuba Diving Agency. I want to stop anyone from diving with them. They are a bait and switch kind of place. The boat they use is very small. 4 people need to crawl up front why the get the equipment ready. Once ready, half the people get in the water, and wait 10 minutes while the other half get ready. There dive master pays no attention to people underwater. We even lost sight of him on our second dive. When your air supply is up, you go up. Not as a group, but with a buddy. You then wave your arms and blow a whistle to try and get the boats attention. I highly do not recommend this company. Go with red iguana instead.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

We just took a trip to the Galapagos as well, and it was wonderful. We went diving twice with Macarron's. I think since this last post they got a new boat, so our experience was really great. The were fun, conscientious, and very cautious under water. In fact, one diver completely freaked out while we were there and couldn't even get under water because she panicked and he completely calmed her down and was very professional and calm about it.

I don't know if they had a change, or something but we thought they were pretty great (and I'm a very experienced diver).

That said, since we returned, we learned that they are not a PADI accredited shop, and if we had known that we would have gone with Scuba Iguana and paid the extra cash (it's about $50 more). If you're not hung up on the accredation, I'd still go with them.

Prague
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

I would definitely go with an accredited company like Red Iguana. Seriously? You lost sight of the guide? That's messed up. Next time, go with someone like latinamericandestinations.com/html/valkiria.…

Ecuador
Level Contributor
155 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

I have not hear Red Iguana, there is a good company named Scuba Iguana in the Galapagos

Ecuador
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

Red Iguana doesn't exist, plese clarify the correct name of the company you are suggesting. Regards

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

I have to tip my hat to supporting Macaroon's Dive shop in Puerto Ayoro. I just came back from three weeks island hopping in the Galapagos. For one of those weeks I was diving under the organizational direction of Leslie at divethegalapagos.com. She's awesome and I can't recommend her enough.

Anyway, she contracted with Macaroon's shop. First dive master came and was good. He was replace after two days with another who was bettter. Then Macaroon, himself joined us.

I've been diving since 1983. Dove all over the world. Galapagos is not the most difficult but it's pretty far up there because of the currents and fauna. Macaroon made drifting in three knott currents look easy. His ability to contol the situation and instil as sense of authority was amazing.

I was part of a group of four experienced divers. We lost respect for the second divemaster when he took us to a Pinnacle at Gordon Rocks and was suprised by the strength of the currents. He the started saw-toothing his dive as he was spotting different types of sharks as he was too excited about the spottings to remain professional and calm.

Macaroon is one of the best natural divers I have ever dove with. He has a great presence and his ability to understand the currents and the situation was unbelievable! He grew up in the islands and was a fisherman for the first half of his life. Mathias, who owns Scuba Iguana and who is also considered the father of Galapagos diving, recruited Macaroon and trained him. Mathias no longer dives and Macaroon has picked up the mantle.

I cannot comment on other shops of dive masters but I can tell you that if you dive in the Galapagos I would search out Macaroon.

Two last comments. Diving there was one of the most amazing things I have done in my diving career. The quantity and quality of life makes the Caribbean seem dull. But it is difficult and not for novices. If you go plan on wearing at least a 7mm suit and bring tough gloves. I brought rubber dipped garden gloves and they worked perfectly. You will grab rocks even if you don't want to. It's inevitable...unless you're Macaroon. Then you just sort of exist in that element.

The second is that Macaroon's shop is accredited by Padi but I still would not take an introductory course there. Go someplace nice and easy to learn. Learning here would be like learning french by starting to read Balzac with a dictionary in your hand. There are some calm spots to be sure BUT it really is some challenging diving. I know it's done but I would honestly think twice before doing it.

Ecuador
Level Contributor
239 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

I have worked with Galapagos Tourism for more than 10 years and I still cannot recommend any dive shops outside of Scuba Iguana, Nautidiving and Galapagos Sub Aqua.

The rest are very new and have mixed reports all the time not just in this post but they also get complaints at the tourism board. Macarron is a great diver and instructor, but it takes more than knowing how to dive to run a good shop and dive outfit. You need good equipment, good guides (Macarron does not guide every trip himself), a good boat (does not own his own boat and does not lease one, rents what is available - inconsistent quality from 1 week to another), etc... Not only M but other outfitters other than the above 3 have the same problems.

Diving in Galapagos must be done with care and safety comes first. Again I can only recommend Scuba Iguana, Nautidiving and Galapagos Sub Aqua.

Ecuador
Level Contributor
155 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

Macarron has his own boat, not the best one in town but a good boat for diving,

Ecuador
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

If you want to go with Macarron, just make sure he goes on the trip. I had work with him and actually always had good experiences on dives with my clients.

9. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 07:41
10. Re: Scuba Diving Galapagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 07:39