We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise ships reviews - please join in!

14 posts
Save Topic
cruise ships reviews - please join in!

I've been searching for a thread about cruiseships reviews but strangely none can be found - just the occational recommendation or warning from a few travellers.

Would it be a good idea to have a thread just dedicated to this topic? I think it would be soooo helpful for newcomers who don't know what to expect and what to ask for, and then perhaps get trapped on some horrible cruise (cf the reviews of Lonesome George and Princess of Galapagos).

It would also be very helpful to indicate whether your cruise was booked last minute and through which agent, and what their policy was for single travellers. It seems there is no common rule - some charge 50% surcharge for single occupancy, and say upfront that they don't pair people up to share a cabin - others however do it.

Other info that would be useful : safety on board (life jackets, info on procedures), crew attitude with exception of nature guides, who I believe get hired in and do not stay with any one boat); availability of safe (free) drinking water; money safety; cleanliness, motor noise/ smell etc.

I'd be very grateful for anyone to share their Galapagos cruise experiences (recommendations/ warnings...)

Mentioned in this post
16 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,879 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

Chris, there are several dozen reviews in the Top Questions on the right side of the Galapagos forum.

Good luck inspiring everyone who takes a cruise to write a comprehensive review as you would like to see. Many people come to the forums and ask questions and pick our brains, but never bother giving back by writing a review (other than the occasional glowing review of the agency they used).

We'll look forward to your review after you return.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

It could definitely be improved from the way it is now. A lot of searching and hunting, and a lot of very old reviews on here that are likely not relevant anymore. FWIW I've been to the Galapagos many times, posting in here when I can, and have never used the boat reviews on here because I find it annoying, haha. There are plenty of other websites out there that help you compare boats though, so once you narrow it down to some you may be interested in, it makes it easier to check reviews on those specific ones here. Good luck in your planning!

Mentioned in this post
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,879 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

FunMonty, I agree the reviews in the TQs are somewhat cumbersome, both to read and to organize. There's just no easy way to alphabetize them and TA no longer support the easy-to-edit Traveler Articles. I have been putting the dates of travel for the newer ones as they are added. I'm all for some suggestions if you have some.

14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

FunMonty, thanks for your input - what websites would these be? Could you please let me know? I've only found

websites that state the bare minimum about cruise boats - without reviews.

Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

Hey Chris, there are some more "bulletin board" type of review sites for the Galapagos out there and some cruise sites that list many Galapagos boats that have their own ratings. cruisecritic, tourradar, galapagos-travel-advisor, etc all list some reviews.

Ya azbuceadora....these forums are simply a terrible layout for this kind of comparison / rating reviews. I highly doubt it will ever be improved as the more time they can force people to be using this site, the better it is for them in terms of marketing and making $$! Haha.

If you could find immediate answers to everything in a few minutes, it would be great for us, bad for TA!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

This is such a fantastic idea! I struggled to find info when comparing different boats when I went to Galapagos last year. I ended up booking on the Golondrina and have shared some info on my blog (link in profile) but would be happy to contribute a more comprehensive review to a site like this!

Mentioned in this post
Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

The website below invites people to rate their ship against a variety of criteria and to provide additional comments. On one hand, it hasn’t been used very much -- only a handful of ships have been reviewed so far, but if people started using it more regularly, I think it might solve this on-going problem.

But on the other, *this* message will soon disappear from the front page of this forum -- new viewers will never see it, regular viewers will soon forget it. Anyone got some other ideas?

https:/…

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,879 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

Well, I don't think I remember seeing this review page, although I was aware of the web site. Let me figure out how to get it into the TQs, where it won't disappear onto the back pages.

14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

many thanks John - though as you say, a pity the site isn't used more often.

Many thanks to all the other contributors to this thread - although I haven't really found the other sites very useful: cruisecritic apparently doesn't include any Galapagos ships or destinations and tourradar seems to be more interested in people booking tours.

the_traveller_from82's: tried to find the blog you mention, but unfortunately couldn't find it in your profile. It's not among the many reviews...

Mentioned in this post
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cruise ships reviews - please join in!

FunMonty: just did what you advised (narrowing things down) and found the ship and the itinerary that seemed just perfect (Guantanamera.... with an itinerary that actually gives Sta Cruz a total miss) - just to find out that apparently, it doesn't exist any more! :((

Reply to: cruise ships reviews - please join in!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Ayora