We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shall I book day trip in advance?

Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
Shall I book day trip in advance?

We are going to Galapagos in July and based in Santa Cruz. We are thinking to visit other islands. Shall we book day trips in advance since July is a busy month , or we can book them while we are there? Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

I recently visited Galapagos and make day trips from Puerto Ayora (Santa Cruz Island). I asked my B&B host to book day trips for me. There are also many tour agencies on the main street. Booking last minute saved me quite a bit. You just have to be somewhat flexible, as the boats may go to a certain island only on certain days, and you may not get the exact sequence you had in mind.

Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

Thanks!

3. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2018, 22:57

4. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2018, 22:57

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

Hello,

depends on the month you stay there, but yes its recommended to book it in advance if you dont want to get only rest thats available!

SJ

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

I'm going to be there in April - is it still advisable to book in advance then, or is booking on the spot ok as it isn't high season?

Shanghai, China
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

I just came beck from Santa Cruz, and I highly recommend booking your daily tours a little bit in advance. I, for example, booked all my daily tours the night before the departure day, and what does it cost me? I can't really choose where to go, I can only go to tours which have vacancy. So i failed to go to Pinzon, which is a popular tour.

Also, if you don't book earlier, you may find that you are very limited to several options, like Santa Fe, North Seymour, which few people choose to go.

By the way, i am not sure about the cost difference between early book and last minute. For me, I paid $100-160 for day tour in average.

Graz
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

I am going in May too, and keep asking myself the same question. I found that day trips when booked in advance are 200$ and up per person.

Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shall I book day trip in advance?

For my first trip to the Galapagos, I booked the tours I really wanted to do in advance online and booked the other tours I wasn't sure about once I was there. I had no problem booking them there. However, I met another tourist who told me she went to many agencies and couldn't find a spot to go to North Seymour. She arrived during the American Thanksgiving holiday which can be a busy time. As she was only there for 3 or 4 days she had a tight schedule.

For my second trip, I have already booked all my tours. Yes, it's more expensive, but I just like the peace of mind of having a set schedule and not having to worry about whether I can get a tour on a particular date. I just want to relax there and not waste time going from agency to agency.

If you have a specific tour operator you want to book with or a day trip you really really want to do, then you should book ahead. But if you don't mind which company you go with, and you won't be devastated if you can't go to Bartolome for example, you don't need to. May is not a busy season so you will probably be fine.

So it depends on your personality- if you are hoping to save as much money as possible and don't mind uncertainty then book once you're there. If you're not on a tight budget and prefer making reservations in advance book ahead.

Reply to: Shall I book day trip in advance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted