We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
234 posts
346 reviews
Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

Hello,

I will be visiting Abidjan next February and was thinking of organising a daytrip to Yamoussoukro to check out the main sights...

Is the drive there safe? How long does it take?

I will probably hire a driver for the trip...

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

I suggest you to not do only a day trip to Yamoussoukro but take a overnight trip. The road is completely good, wide and not so much traffic neither, safe also and you not need a driver at all. Unfortunately I not remember how long time it took, but I think it was approx 3-4 hours from Abidjan.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
234 posts
346 reviews
2. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

Not sure there is much to see in Yamoussoukro though... The Basilica is pretty much the only thing of interest, along with perhaps some viewing of the other constructions around...

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

But it is really worth to see it and it would be shame to miss it when you are in Cote d'Ivory. There in the city is also mosque worth to see, unfortunately I forgot the name, but you see it, it is quite big also. Then close to president palace is one lake with sacred crocodiles. Also self Capital is interesting to visit because you have no imagination what you will see and I am sure you will be like surprised as I was seeing this Capital LOL

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

Did you go on your trip? If so, how long did you stay and how was the visit?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

Linda, who you ask, OP or me? I suppose you ask me because OP goes first in February next year.

I was there 2 nights, one whole day therefore and quite long time take the visit of Basilica. There is also nice and quite big Mosque. Then as said you can go to the lake and try to see crocodiles. So to stay the whole day is worth as well. And it was really interesting to be there.

Edited: 23 December 2015, 08:50
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
109 reviews
6. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

yes I was there beginning of december and I went there with my tour operator (sahelci) with the guide and the driver. I would certainly recommend the local driver and if you rent the car be prepared to poor conditions of the car. You need three or four hours to go and the same to come back. Be prepared also to delays but that's Africa

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
171 reviews
7. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

Good. But I am surprised over what you write about guide and driver. No one of them is necessary. About the car it depends, we rented the car by Europcar and it was one of the best cars we ever rented. And were driving alone, without guide. It took us exactly 3 hours, 13.30 we started in center of Abidjan, 16.32 in Yamoussoukro.

Edited: 03 February 2016, 22:11
8. Re: Daytrip to Yamoussokro for tourism - How Long? Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2017, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Abidjan