We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting The Ivory Coast knowing very little French

Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Visiting The Ivory Coast knowing very little French

Hello!

From your personal experience, without knowing any French would I be able to get around and communicate in The Ivory Coast? I'm planning a trip to West Africa for about a month. I plan on definitely visiting Ghana but also wanted to visit The Ivory Coast and possibly Benin and Togo. Has anyone been to these places without knowing French? Or would an interpreter have to be looked into?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,697 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: Visiting The Ivory Coast knowing very little French

I don't speak French one single word but it was no problem to travel around the country anyway. At hotels they speak more or less English, even locals, especially young people speak English also. Only once it was a little difficult to communicate at hotel where they spoke only French. But we anyway managed to communicate and understand.

P.S. I remember you from Senegal forum LOL, it will be OK to communicate don't be worry ☺

Edited: 04 July 2017, 10:12
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,697 posts
172 reviews
2. Re: Visiting The Ivory Coast knowing very little French

Michael, look at https:/… it is quite important to know!

Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
3. Re: Visiting The Ivory Coast knowing very little French

Thank you!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,697 posts
172 reviews
4. Re: Visiting The Ivory Coast knowing very little French

You welcome, I did know that it is OK there now.

5. Re: Visiting The Ivory Coast knowing very little French

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2018, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Abidjan