We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency-wifi-other inquiries

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Currency-wifi-other inquiries

Hi I am canadian and I am visting Abidjan for the first time next month for missionary purposes. I have some questions concerning the wifi and the currency;

- Do i need to exchange canadian dollars to FCFA? Or is it better to have american dollars?

- how much pocket money do I proximatly need if I am staying 15-20 days ( for food, transportation, wifi/cell inquiries)

- how does the wifi work in Abidjan? How goood is it? Will my iphone 5s work there?

- how medically safe is Abidjan? (Water? Food?)

- is there any safe measurements I should be taking during my visit?

Sorry if i have many questions, I am a little bit worried since I am travelling alone.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
abidjan
abidjan
3 Reviews
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
415 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency-wifi-other inquiries

You definitely need local currency.

I guess absolutely nobody can tell you how much money you are going to spend. It depends on so, so many factors really:

Food - where would you like to eat? (guest house, local restaurant, hotel, 5 star hotel, local market)

Transportation - which means of transport? (private car with driver? Local buses? Minibuses?)

If you stay at a 5 star hotel, WIFI will probably not be a problem. It doesn‘t depend on your phone, it depends on your operator whether it will work in Abidjan.

As with almost every African country: Don’t drink tap water. If you eat: Eat food that is cooked/grilled, or fruit that you can peel yourself, etc. Have the right vaccinations. Yellow fever is obligatory.

Safety can be an issue in Abidjan for sure. There are a couple of areas you shouldn’t walk in at night, and sometimes even during the day. Check the appropriate foreign office or the embassy - always a very good idea with valuable advice.

Mentioned in this post
abidjan
abidjan
3 Reviews
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency-wifi-other inquiries

Thank you

3. Re: Currency-wifi-other inquiries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Abidjan