We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub to watch rugby

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Pub to watch rugby

I think this is going to be a tall order, but it's worth an ask. I am going to be in AC for England's rugby World Cup match against Scotland. Given the time difference with New Zealand, the game will be on about 3am. Is there anywhere that a) would be open for showing sport that late and b) would be showing rugby? I have read that the Quarter in the Trop has a sports bar but I'm guessing it would only show American sports?

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Pub to watch rugby

At 3AM ADAMN Good Sports Bar at the Trop might show the rugby or the nearby Chelsea Pub may show the match.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Pub to watch rugby

Yes, the Sports Bar in the Trop would be a good choice, but their being open at 3am is a gamble. The Chelsea Pub next door should be open and may put the game on if asked.

The 12 Bar in Showboat might also put the game on one of their TVs if asked.

Ducktown Tavern is another possibility. They have "happy hours" at 3 am. You can contact them here:

www.ducktowntavern.com/index.php…

Who are you betting on?

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Pub to watch rugby

the problem is not so much finding a bar that's open... it's finding the program on TV at all. if a bar is open and has the match available, i'm sure they'd let you watch it.

but in america, most of the rugby world cup matches are available only as pay-per-view events from cable television and satellite TV providers. while rugby is growing in popularity in the states, it's extremely unlikely that any venue would pay the necessary fees to show the PPV match, especially one starting at 3 AM. (but i could be wrong.)

i recommend speaking with the management of any AC sports bar for advice once you arrive, or talking to the concierge at any AC hotel. they may be able to tell you where you might be able to see the match.

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
4. Re: Pub to watch rugby

Look at Setanta com to see if they are showing the games and if so then look at their venues.. think RIRA shoe setanta.....alternatively if you have a laptop google it and then watch at a WIFI place

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
5. Re: Pub to watch rugby

Thanks everyone. I will ask in advance at the places you mention when I get there. Hopefully one of them might come up trumps.

Easydave, if you mean for this game then HOPEFULLY England should be able to beat Scotland, if we play to our potential. For the tournament as a whole it'll be NZ to win I'm afraid, barring them choking massively.

Maryland
Level Contributor
515 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Pub to watch rugby

Setanta usa has been out of business for over a year. I am a huge fan of English football and the only place any of the soccer or rugby is on is Ri-Ra in Tropicana's Quarter. The only problem is that they are closed by 3 AM and don't reopen until around 11 am. (unles this has changed in the last several months). The successor to Setanta is Fox soccer plus which does show rugby on occasion. I have been unsuccessful in finding any venue in AC that has these channels and is open 24 hrs a day.

If anyone knows of any I would appreciate this info also.

Maryland
Level Contributor
515 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Pub to watch rugby

FYI just spoke with Chelsea pub - No Fox Soccer Channel there!

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Pub to watch rugby

universal sports and NBC will be showing a mix of live and tape-delayed games in the US, but as far as i can tell, their coverage will almost exclusively be focused on matches that feature the USA team.

the england/scotland match appears to be available as a PPV event only.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
9. Re: Pub to watch rugby

Thanks for the updates. Bugger. As I feared, it looks like this is going to be a non starter. I'll have to make do with texting friends back home for score updates.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Pub to watch rugby

England got that one, but maybe this link may help anyone wanting to watch remaining World Cup games?

…blogspot.com/2011/10/watch-knockout-stage-o…

Good luck whichever team you bet on.