We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Harbin in June

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
44 posts
35 reviews
Two weeks in Harbin in June

Just had a great opportunity arise to go to Harbin for business (all expenses paid, yay!) in June for 2 weeks (4-19). Can someone give me the in's and out's of a visit to the city. Think we'll be staying at or near Harbin University of Commerce.

Any info is greatly appreciated and will probably follow up with questions if that's ok.

Cheers!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Two weeks in Harbin in June

Since it is not winter, so you will miss Ice and Snow Festival and its related shows and activities. Except those, you can still visit Siberian Tiger Park, St. Sophia Church and Central Street in Harbin.

Besides, Shenyang Imperial Palace is also worth visiting if you like.

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
44 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Two weeks in Harbin in June

Thanks, Bob. All ideas I have seen mentioned previously in other sites. How is Harbin relative to acceptance of Americans? I like to immerse in cultures when abroad...familiar with HIC area? Looks a bit out of the way from main areas.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,659 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Two weeks in Harbin in June

Hi,

You could also visit Unit 731, especially if you are interested in history. Closer to the city centre do visit the Laodaowai district which contains some wonderful old buildings. What is the HIC area?

As an American you won't have any issues. However, people may ask if you are from Russia and if you meet some Russians they are likely to ask if you are American.

Actually, don't expect to see many foreigners here !

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
44 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Two weeks in Harbin in June

HIC = Harbin institute (University?) of Commerce

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,659 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Two weeks in Harbin in June

Hi,

The University of Commerce is located on Tongda Jie, it is not that far from the city centre and will certainly be reachable by bus. Aside from the places already mentioned there are excursions to nearby mountains on a Saturday and Sunday.

Harbin, China
Level Contributor
305 posts
6. Re: Two weeks in Harbin in June

Hi Chris,

You can have one day outer suburb tour, to visit spectacular Russian town, Volga Manor.

Volga Manor is a very beautiful Russian town, which is a bout 60KM from the city center. You can visit many beautiful Russian churches and palaces there, and experience Russian culture there, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Besides Volga Manor, another highlight worth visiting in June is the Indoor Ice Festival on Sun Island. With more than 100 colorful and illuminated icy masterpieces available inside the ice palace, the INDOOR ICE FESTIVAL is the largest indoor ice carving exhibition in the world currently. The temperature inside can drop to minus 15 degree, which is cold enough for you. Well, just for fun there:) So you can still see the ice carving and snow sculptures in Harbin in summertime, this is amazing!

Talking about Harbin University of Commerce, there are TWO campus. The old south campu mentioned by AjarnAndy is correct, that is No. 138, Tongda Street, Nangang District. The new north campu is in No. 1, Xuehai Road, Songbei District, which is near Harbin Siberian Tiger Park, and used to be the suburb of Harbin.

American tourists usually visit Harbin in wintertime, however there are hundreds of American students studying at Harbin Institute of Technology and Heilongjiang University currently.

Have a good time in Harbin! I am local Harbinese, should you have any questions about Harbin, please kindly write to harbin58@hotmail.com I would like to answer your questions as much as I know.

Harbin T

7. Re: Two weeks in Harbin in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Harbin
Recent Conversations