We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Sanya

Denmark (Copenhagen)
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Sanya

We have a little question,

we are going to China for a vacation to Shanghai and Beijing.

From there we would like some beach vacation, and therefor we have decided that we will go to Sanya.

But we need your help! - Where to stay in Sanya.

We have almost decided that we will stay near Yalong Bay or Dadonghai.

But which to choose, and which hotel then.

We would like to relax, but also to see something, go to a local market or eat at a local restaurant and get some massage - Maybe some scuba diving for one of us (Have Paddi license )

So which of the beaches should we choose ? It is our first time to Sanya.

We are very confused where to live.

Our budget for a hotel is approximately 150 USD pr. night. We are going to stay 7 nights ( Is this to much or to little or OK? )

Greetings, and thank you all

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,905 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Sanya

Dadonghai has local restaurants & people. It is a town. Yalong Bay is a resort area with very little other than big hotels. There are buses between the two. If you want to sit around the pool or on the beach most of the time, Yalong Bay is probably the best pick.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,271 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Sanya

On the top left of the page, click on "Sanya hotels". All hotels are listed there from best to worst based on travelers' reviews. You also get a rough price range. Not sure about scuba diving there.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Sanya

there are lots of rip-off in Sanya, for the first time, you will be price-gouged very often. just be aware of that, or you will spend much money you don't have to spend.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Sanya

yes, Dadonghai has local restaurants & people. It is a town.Yalong bay is better for you. hotel 's price around $150 is OK ,but you must book in advance or booked by travel angency.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 09:44
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Sanya

Sanya is in the midst of a huge tourist and real estate boom. So service may be lacking and scams and greedy taxis drivers are common.

Sanya has the best beaches in China, but that is not saying much. You might look at places in Vietnam or Indonesia instead. Less unrest in Vietnam, of course.

OK, you are settled on Sanya, now where? Dadonghai is an urban beach, with the pluses and minuses. You have an endless choice of restaurants, many seaside right on the boardwalk with linen covered tables and good food with live entertainment. A leisurely pre-dinner walk and you can pick out one which appeal to you.

Downtown, along the seawall are some really great local restaurants featuring fresh seafood. These are common places with prices easy on the wallet. A fresh seafood (pick your shellfish or fish from tanks) dinner will be under 200-250 yuan per person.

Get into a Yalong Bay hotel dining room, and very common food is at the same price or higher.

At Dadonghai, you have local stores, pharmacies, and taxis in to the city of Sanya for shopping with the natives, the best way to get good momentos at cheap prices. I really like the dried tropical fruit mix or the dried jackfruit. Both are tasty and since they are cooked and factory sealed, most probably you can take home. I do. There are Hainan-only stores where everything in the tourist store is from the island, including coffee, coconut products, etc.

Or you can stay way out at Yalong Bay, where it is just impractical to take a taxi back into town very often. So you are isolated on a tropical beach vacation. If you brought along a lot of sunscreen and your Kindle ebook, and want to chill, go for it. You money does not go as far as everything is limited in availability, hence more costly.

Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Sanya

I stayed one week in Sanya Bay last year after two months around China. I went twice to Yalong Bay and once to Dadong hai. I give you some impressions.

Dadonghai is close to Downtonwn Sanya, 10-15 minutes bus. The town is small but with many restaurants and bars. But you won t find small cheap chinese restaurants as in Beijing, all quite expensive. There s a lot of (rich) russian torurism (maybe that s why is all expensive). The beach is a 3 km strip and gets very crowded and noisy. I didn t like it very much and i find it a bit dirty (the beachfront area, not the water).

Yalong Bay is a typical beach resort. Here there s no "town", just hotels. The beach is 7km, very clean and nice. There s a bus from Dadonghai going there that takes one hour. But it just runs until 7pm. Everything is very expensive here. There s not much to do than relax at the beach.

Most of hotels have a private beach. If you are not guest you can t use the hotel beachfront but some of them accept outside guests for a fee. There re two public beaches in Yalong Bay but extremely crowded. Before booking confirm that the hotel has a beachfront, i met some people that booked at the golf hotel that didn t have beachfront. Holiday Inn Hotel didn t look very nice neither, it s at the end of the strip, the beachfront was small and can be very noisy as it s beside the public beach.

I also did a day trip to Wuzhizhou Islet. Again it was so crowded, it made difficult to enjoy for me.

7. Re: Question about Sanya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now