We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

I am Indonesian, I still got visa on arrival in Lo Wu on 5 April 2008 (I travelled by train from Hong Kong). But my friend, an Indian national was rejected and sent back to Hong Kong. So, for Indians travelling to China, please get your visa from Chinese embassy in your country.

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

well, they have this thing against indians here in China. Weird

My hubby is Indian, but SIngaporean Indian, he holds a singapore passport. In Jan, it was ok.

Yesterday and today, both at Zhuhai customs and today at Lohu customs, he was being stopped even before he went to join a queue at immigration. Some mobile police officer demanded his passprt and looked at it for a long time. Asked where is he from...and they looked shocked when they hear Singapore (maybe cos they do not know that Singapre is a multi racial society)....they were like asking me 'why do we have blacks in Singapore?' WTF!!! My hubby understood what they were saying in mandarin and he felt insulted. They also took a sharp object and scraped his passport a little to make sure its not a fake, causing a tear in his passport now.

What's up with that?

Everywhere we walked, people stared at us. We went for massage, and when they asked us where we are from, they responded the same why, ' why are there blacks in singapore?'....same for the taxi driver. I guess they are just ignorant.

One more reason for me to be proud as a Singaporean....its a multi racial country and I will not appear to be such a nerd when I see foreigners.

London, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
234 reviews
2. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

Its very unfortunate if this happened..I am a Indian & go In & out to of mainland often...& this has never happened to me...(but then I have a multiple entry visa...made back in India..)

Strangely my husband , an Indian, looks bit chinese & hence is often 'stared' at few seconds longer than usual in the immigration..

I dont know if this is racial discrimination...but I would put this to the fact that India is a safe refuge for his holiness....u know who..!

There is a similar thread in the HKG forum where some one mentioned that India is among the 33 countries black listed in terms of being issued mainland visa from HKG.

having said this...there are many people non Indians (blacks to be precise though I hate using the term myself now)who have faced issues because of their colour in the chinese capital..((

Guess, their karma will catch up with the chinese....!

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

It's great your hubby looks a little bit Chinese....I guess it is a little easier.

My hubby's is classified as south indian, of a darker skin tone. While I was in China, I see Indians there, but most were north indians who were rather fair, and I paid close attention to the Chinese's reaction. My observation is that the North Indians do not get so much of weird stares....maybe my hubby is of a darker skin tone...:) So my conclusion is, maybe they are just curious why is my hubby so dark....haha. I guess the Chinese mean no harm, its just a cultural shock for them....just that the way they stare can be quite rude...just get used to it.

China is a great place to do business, I hope that sooner, rather than later, they will evolve into a truly cosmopolitan society. Takes time I guess

London, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
234 reviews
4. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

BTW, I am South Indian & dark....But never have been treated bad..! On the contrary people are curious about lot of things...like hinduism, Bollywood, curry..wish my chinese was good enough to chat with them on these..

So in my opinion I dont think its related to race....possibly due to your partner's Muslim name which they were checking in the list...

...the 'Big O' sure is whipping up the security frenzy..especially when a hijacking effort by Islamic militants was foiled recently..

Hope the frenzy passes away soon & everybody has a pleasant travel in China..

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

Hmm, did not know about the plane incident.

Nevertheless, we love china. Its our business....we need china! but avoiding Hong Kong because immigration there is really crazy.....:)

My huby says if I wanna go hongkong i must go alone....haha! He's not keen

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

Swetamani>

U based in shenzhen? Maybe the next time I am there, we should hang out! Do u know of any nice indian restaurants in Shenzhen?

Do u come to Singapore? I would love to buy you a meal! Keep in touch

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,364 posts
1 review
7. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

Personally, I would've taken note of his policeman number and told him in no uncertain terms that his attitude was unprofessional, and to lead me to his supervisor so that I could complain about him!

Delhi
1 post
8. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

Dear Friend

Could anyone suggest me that how I can get 6 month Multiple entry visa for China.

I am an Indian and use to come for business purpose every month or couple of months.

Thanks

Ajay

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,504 posts
450 reviews
9. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

Ajay, suggest you start a new thread since the topic is slightly different - assume you have asked the Chinese Embassy in Delhi?

10. Re: Shenzhen - Visa on Arrival for Indians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 11:18