We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to shenzhen?

2 posts
Save Topic
Safe to travel to shenzhen?

Hi all, i intend to plan for a family (with my 2.5 year old active boy) trip to shenzhen> zhuhai> hkg in early Jan18. I heard a lot of things on these places esp. kid kidnapping.

I want to give a benefit of doubt on this. Can someone advise if true and precaution measure to take? What will be the weather over there as well?

P/s: my aunt stayed in shenzhen but I just want to be safe on this.

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to shenzhen?

For me China is one of the safest place on Earth. We walk at night even my wife is walking alone.

But I don't have kid yet

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to shenzhen?

Just rumors, I never heard of any kidnapping, who told you that? China is the safest place. If you really worry about it so much, don’t go to China.

Mentioned in this post
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to shenzhen?

Thanks for the advise.

Heard from my colleague who is staying in hongkong near the borders but I intend to go visiting that’s why want to be sure. That’s why like I say I give benefit of doubt.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel to shenzhen?

I can understand that.

On our first Shenzhen visit 20 years ago, our HK friends told us the same scary stories. He sent 2 of his personal bodyguards and chauffeur with us on our first Shenzhen shopping visit with his wife, they were always just steps from us. But within 10 minutes, I realized there was absolutely no need for bodyguards, even 20 years ago, Shenzhen was perfectly safe.

We have since visited China 30 times on business, it is always safe.

Mentioned in this post
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel to shenzhen?

It is really ironic that so many HK people (specially those in northern New Territories) bad-mouth Shenzhen people - and then they spend so much of their time off in the northern city!

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel to shenzhen?

Shenzhen is safe, i live near shenzhen, a single girl, even can go out on the 11:00pm, hahhha

7. Re: Safe to travel to shenzhen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2017, 02:56

Reply to: Safe to travel to shenzhen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted