We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

I will land at 4:30PM and depart at 9:30PM... Is it realistic to have a driver take me for a quick tour aaround town?

Maybe a quick visit to the Place du Gouvernement for a quick picture (just so I can say I have seen Douala ;-)...

How long would it be to drive from the airport to place du gouvernement and back to the airport?

8 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,586 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

You can also take only taxi, it will be cheaper, but you cannot say you saw Douala LOL, I not remember how long it is but I think about not more than one half hour. Depends much of the traffic and it is quite terrible there.

Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
362 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

Douala traffic is massive, do not forget about that... Not sure what you would like to experience in Douala, it's mainly dirty and hot lol

Do you have a visa or pre-arranged approval? - otherwise you can't leave the airport anyway.

Nevertheless, I definitely understand your wish to leave the airport. Either you pass your respective gate, then there is air-conditioning - but nothing to eat or drink. Outside the gate there is no air-conditioning, but you can buy some water and, sometimes, a sandwich.

It is not advisable to use the airport's bathrooms.

Douala, Cameroon
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

All travellers to Cameroon should be warned that there is a fake company called "Camport Plc" operating at the Douala "International" airport, They use the acronym plc to make you think they are the police.

They operate at this "International" airport to extort money from innocent passengers. If you don't give bribes, you don't travel. It is operating in the clear view of the Cameroon police and the immigration, plus the various airlines too. The name of the righleader is Joshua Osih and one of his most notorious footman is called Cyprian.

Even after you have cleared police, immigration and all security checks, if you don't pay bribes to these men who are located just before the boarding lounge, you don't travel.

Weil am Rhein...
Level Contributor
99 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

No visa no move

- If you have a visa, probably best to go to a lodge on beaches

Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
362 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

Douala airport is safe, though. I was never hassled or asked for bribes, everything was always very correct. I had a lot worse experiences in Accra or Hargeisa, for example.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

Hi Mahme,

I hope you are fine.

I have one question for you. Did you require transit visa during your layover. I have 22H layover so I want to to know if I can leave the airport with the transit visa or I have to in the airpoirt for all that time :(. I am British passport holder.

Thank you.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

Hi Everyone

I have one question for you. Did you require transit visa during your layover. I have 22H layover so I want to to know if I can leave the airport with the transit visa or I have to in the airpoirt for all that time :(. I am British passport holder.

Thank you.

Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
362 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport

No, you can't

Reply to: 5 Hour Layover in Douala Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Douala
Recent Conversations