We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cameroon safety

Columbia, South...
1 post
Save Topic
cameroon safety

I will be traveling to cameroon in late december of this year. I really need to know, if it is safe, for me to travel there? I am scared of the group boko haram, and them taking tourists. I will be in Bamenda. Is this in your opinion, a safe place for me to travel, and i am from usa.

10 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cameroon safety

I was in Bamenda, now it is a couple of year ago but it was OK, I felt me safe there. It was just the year then the French family were kidnapped, but it was there up in Waza. Of course, that time Boko Haram was not so widespread, but now Nigeria managed to clean it a little, so maybe it can be OK still.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cameroon safety

You going to seaside Douala? Yes it's safe, as no Boko Haram in Douala. Boko Haram is much further inland. I travel to Douala about 1-2 times per year for work. That said, just make sure you have a safe reliable driver (don't take cabs and any forms of public transport!), and have driver wait for you when you go in restaurant for dinner, drinking, etc. so he can take you back to your hotel straightaway. Don't roam the streets at night.

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cameroon safety

jee that does not sound so good,.,cheers,.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cameroon safety

Boko Haram is most in Extreme North so be careful and not go there.

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cameroon safety

so i am better off going to kenya or ghana,..thanks

Douala, Cameroon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: cameroon safety

Hello, I am in Douala Cameroon. There is no Bokoharam here in Douala. It is in the North Region of Cameroon. As for the person who says you should not move in the night i strongly disagree. The thing is avoid moving alone , since you don't know the town well. You can find someone who can show you the town be it at night or in the day. It is indeed a great place with people from different parts of the world. Fun packed and many more.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cameroon safety

Hello. Its safe to visit bamenda .Boro had an are found in the far north region which about 3 days away from bamenda. Am from bamenda and I am on vacation so if you plan to visit bamenda then I can offer my help to show you around theorine99@gmail.com

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: cameroon safety

I am going to travel to Cameroon this saturday (19 dec 15) for 2 weeks. I am female and will travel around alone for some part of the country. I´m a bit worried about my security in general. My plan is so far as follows:

Landing douala airport saturday morning and going to limbe straight from the airport (is it safe to take the taxi/bus, or do I need to orginise a private taxi before I land?)

After spending 3 days in limbe visiting the town and the beaches, I will head to buea for 2 days hiking in the cameroon mouintan (with CEO), then will take a bus from buea to bamenda for 6 days staying with an orginisation (bamenda, belo, part of the ring road). Last few days of my trip thinking of going to kribi , but didn´t plan it yet.

Is there any recommandations anyone can give me regarding safety, things to avoid or must see/do. As I will be alone, I would be happy to hear from other travelers or residents.

Looking forward to the adventure :)

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cameroon safety

Generally it is safe there, but avoid to go alone at night, even on the beach of course, take taxi instead. About transfer from airport to Limbe I have no idea what is better, you can take bus, it will be cheaper in any case.

Kribi is nice so I recommend you to go there and stay a couple of days, much to see around.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cameroon safety

Hello. Your stay in Cameroon gonna be nice. You just have to take a private taxi from the airport a that way you can be safe. When you get to limbe just stay calm because generally Cameroonian are very friendly . The places you mentioned you wanna visit is very safe from any threat . And you gonna find it easy because its english spoken regions of country. One advice just play as if you have been to cameroon before because most traders try to double price you once the sre a foreigner .I am in bamenda cameroon with a Canadian female tourist too she is going to BElo tomorrow so it could be a good opportunity to show you around too when you come and since you're alone you can count on our company. Email me theorine99@gmail.com so I can give you my phone numbers we can talk more or you asks me questions and get your answers. Am not a travel agent no so be careful with those who come saying they're agents. I am Cameroonian on vacation too am not working till February so I can be of help

Reply to: cameroon safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Douala
Recent Conversations