We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING: Turkish Airlines Are Terrible

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING: Turkish Airlines Are Terrible

I had the misfortune of flying with Turkish Airlines from London to Douala in Cameroon. The journey went via a connecting flight from Istanbul. Firstly the flight going out from London was delayed, as was the connecting flight from Istanbul, as was the return leg from Istanbul to London. No explanation for the delays was given. The aircraft was also rather small and cramped for a long haul journey meaning a hot/stuffy atmosphere and long lines to use the toilets. This are all very minor problems compared to my main complaint: Turkish Airlines deliberately left our luggage at Istanbul! This is what happened: We arrived at Douala airport and waited for at least an hour for our cases to come off the carousel, the carousel then stopped and there was no sign of our cases. We looked around the crowded arrivals area and saw hundreds of suitcases that had just been dumped there. We were confused and surrounded by chaos. someone in our group looked around and eventually found a list with about 50 passenger names on it saying that Turkish airlines had left our luggage at Istanbul as there was no room on the plane! At no point were we told of this, it was never explained to us, we were given no warning and no advice was given as to what would happen next. Turkish airlines had no staff at the airport and no point of contact, we had no choice but to make our way to our accommodation, needless to say we were angry and distressed. The first day of our holiday was ruined as we had no clean clothes, underwear or toiletries. We had also travelled from England in December into Cameroon's hot season meaning the clothes we were wearing on the plane were completely unsuitable for the sweltering African heat! We tried for about an hour to get through to a Turkish airlines phone number which actually worked and was in English, no such number existed! Customer telephone numbers rarely work and the phones are rarely answered. Even if you do get through they just say you have the wrong number and give you another number to call, this goes round in circles until you end up where you started. The chances of getting through to an Office in England is zero. We eventually got through to the Cameroon office who told us we could collect our bags from the airport at 1am the following morning! We turned up and needless to say the flight was delayed, we did not get our bags until 4am in the morning! Not only did this ruin that night it also spoilt the following day as we were exhausted from being up so late! The situation at the airport was a shambles, there was another list with even more names on it of people whose luggage had been left behind. Turkish Airlines have a never ending backlog so the situation occurs every night and gets worse each day! No offer of compensation was made, no offer to send the luggage to our accommodation was made, no information was provided. Turkish Airlines are a disgrace and an absolute shambles. My advice would be to never fly with this appalling airline , they take your money but cannot deliver the service you paid for. The staff are also rude and unfriendly and the airline does not provide enough staff at the airports they fly to. I advise never to book a flight with Turkish Airlines, I certainly wont repeat the mistake of booking with them. We tried to complain on our return but Turkish Airlines dismissed our complaint saying we should have filled in a report form at Douala (ignoring the fact that there are no Turkish Airlines staff in Douala Airport, no Turkish Airlines desk and no information on how to report a claim)!

1 reply
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING: Turkish Airlines Are Terrible

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If you come to Douala again, I would suggest flying South African Airways or Air France (via Paris). Me plus none of my colleagues have experienced such a misfortune and we usually fly to Douala at least 1-2 times per year.

Reply to: WARNING: Turkish Airlines Are Terrible
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Douala
Recent Conversations